Buying a Document scanner

sheila.weston 23:02 08 Jun 09

I am wondering about buying a Document Scanner. Looking at various websites, it appears that I would have to pay something over £300, for a scanner which copies 50 pages to PDF.

Are there any problems with these scanners, or questions which I should ask? A recommendation would be appreciated. The Fujitsu range look possible.

I have Vista and want to scan lots of Family History data and correspondence.

T I M B O 23:05 08 Jun 09

you can buy cheap flat bed scanners and software for PDF you can download for free. click here

£300 seems a lot to me.

T I M B O 23:06 08 Jun 09

Wow look at this, never thought id find a scanner this cheap with pdf & email software >> click here

sheila.weston 15:08 09 Jun 09

Yes, but these are for flatbed scanners. I want something that has a feeder for fifty documents - see click here - and converts them automatically.

johndrew 16:09 09 Jun 09

A feeder puts the price up dramatically. A scanner alone will often be about half the price of one with a feeder. If the feeder is essential you will find it will, generally, be directly associated with the brand of scanner you buy - for Epson you will need an Epson feeder and so on - if it is a bolt on item; I note the Fujitsu feeder is integral.

I think that those with feeders are generally aimed at office use and the premium comes because of this.

If you are going to spend this sort of money it is probably worth buying a scanner that will give good results across a range of items - photos/documents/magazine pages/etc.

jack 17:22 09 Jun 09

You are moving into the real of 'Office Equipment'
Where the that horribly misused word crops up 'Professional'
That is almost certain to double the price of any piece kit.

Diemmess 17:58 09 Jun 09

I'm another who realises the business and home markets are quite different when it come to facility and pricing.

Many of the better known retailers simply do not stock, or perhaps publicise their commercial grade hardware.

I would suggest browsing manufacturer's own sites to find the gear best suited to your need, and then look for who stocks it and best price.

I recently bought a mid-range HP mono laser, lowest price direct from HP!

DieSse 18:20 09 Jun 09

My HP J4580 All-in-one has a multi feed scanner feeder, and is less than £100 I believe. Only 20 sheets at a time though.

click here

sheila.weston 21:00 09 Jun 09

Many thanks, all. Yes, I'll do some more browsing in manufacturers' 'office' websites etc. I have an excellent Epson 3200 flatbed Photoscanner which is still giving excellent service, but it would be hopeless for the no. of folders which I want to convert.

Woolwell 21:15 09 Jun 09

The Fuji is going to cost over £300. Have a look at this range click here=|c:734|&Sort=1 as a guide.

Woolwell 21:16 09 Jun 09

Sorry link didn't work properly

click here&

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…