Buying a Desktop?

AdventCalendar 17:35 02 Feb 03

My Mum has told me to have a look for her for a new desktop PC, as hers has had its last day.

Ive only ever gone for Laptops, and so have never looked round for desktops, or desktop packages. She would be happy with the base unit and new monitor, but if i can get hold of a really great package deal then that would be superb.

Ive had a look on the reviews on here and there are a couple i quite like the look of.

Has anyone seen any great deals recently, or can recommend some good sites/shops to visit???

It will basically be used for her to use the net, type the odd document and keep the books on, nothing too OTT, so it doesnt need to be a power PC unless its one for a cracking price.

Any ideas, or help??

many thanks

Lú-tzé 17:50 02 Feb 03

I can't / won't recommend one, but will suggest you have a look at the mags in the shops these days, see their reviews for (super)budget machines and then have a word with the manufacturer of a few that are reviewed there. You will be able to get them to customise it as you want.

Any machine on the market for about £800 incl. will do all that you have stated, should have a decent sound system and be upgradable when necessary.

click here for PCA reviews.

dougiez 17:50 02 Feb 03

have you every thought off click here
they have some good deals on there had one for last month no trouble

AdventCalendar 20:10 02 Feb 03

thanks so far, anyone else???

mysterious_543 20:56 02 Feb 03

The Aries - nothing too powerful but should be great for your mum. It's only £399, with a monitor.

If you want to see it for yourself get this issue of computeractive - 129. Must get it before next thursday though. The new one comes out then.

pj123 11:26 03 Feb 03

Here you are! Look at this site click here

The price is for the base unit only but they do good prices on new and refurbished monitors as well. Give them a ring when you have looked at their web site.

Rayuk 18:39 03 Feb 03

My only advise would make sure you get decent monitor CRT flat screen or similar.

clayton 18:51 03 Feb 03

They dont come with monitors but have a look here
click here

AdventCalendar 20:03 03 Feb 03

ta will look at those now...

any more???

oldnovice 21:26 03 Feb 03

really basic but cheap as chips dave click here

AdventCalendar 22:55 03 Feb 03

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…