buying a dell

jillions 22:21 17 Dec 05

hello
i will be buying a new pc after xmas probably a dell as i have heard good things?
i am a novice with computers and need some advice the pc will be mostly used for digital camera work printing ,internet ,downloading music etc
my wifes course work ,the odd game sims etc and later on my own website what would be my requirments on a new system i dont want to have to replace it for a while
also i may get a reasonable priced lap top do dell do deals :-)
also do microsoft office ,front page etc some with the packages or are they extras
thanks for your time

SANTOS7 22:43 17 Dec 05

Hi jillions (is that quite a lot) you have missed out one important piece of info, How much do you want to spend, give us a budget and maybe we can point you in the right direction...

jillions 22:49 17 Dec 05

doh!sorry
around £800 for the pc but hoping to get a deal for around £1100 for a decent pc and lap top
cheers

jillions 22:52 17 Dec 05

sorry also would like to be able to write cd,s etc on both

spuds 23:21 17 Dec 05

Buying a Dell can be a little daunting regarding pricing. Dell have an habit of offering the same specification machine with various discounts, depending on the advertisement and voucher codes.The same rule applies to telephone sales, as the salesperson have certain targets, and depending on the target they have achieved, they can offer better or worse deals. Don't get disappointed in what I have stated, but you can get Dell savvy as time goe's on.So do not buy on first choice, but select with care.

Having stated that, Dell offer first rate machines with very good specifications, but upgrading and configuring the machine via Dell can run a little expensive. Best to stick with basics and the best offers.

The Dell Dimension range is a very good starting point, with the 1100 having good discounts at present.

SANTOS7 23:26 17 Dec 05

Have you actually been to dells website
click here
you can choose the items you want in your price range and then customise them to suite your needs...

SANTOS7 23:35 17 Dec 05

spuds has a very valid point, when you click on a deal it automatically adds extra for (Basic: 3-Year At Home service & Multimedia E-Learning [Included in Price)
i personnally do not think you need this, where you see this option select the one above, the one year deal it will save you 98 quid, that is of course you decide to buy Dell.......

clayton 23:50 17 Dec 05

I know its not Dell but what does everyone think of this deal.

click here

AMD Athlon™ 64 3000+ Processor
with HyperTransport™ Technology
Genuine Windows® XP Home
ASUS Nforce 410 PCI- X Mainboard
512MB DDR400 Memory
160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive
128MB Nvidia GeForce 6100 Graphics
19" TFT Flat Panel Display
Sony 16x Dual Layer DVD Writer
5.1 Channel Surround Sound Audio
Sound Blaster SB260 Speakers
Media Card Reader 15 in 1
Logitech Desktop KB & Optical Mouse
Classic Warranty - 3 Years Parts & Lab

£ 499.00 inc VAT

SANTOS7 23:56 17 Dec 05

I'd buy it "nuff sed".....

jillions 00:30 18 Dec 05

thanks for your help being a novice it does get a bit mind blowing on the dell site
clayton where can i pick up a deal like that pm if you like

bob308w 08:11 18 Dec 05

I tried to buy a Dell laptop a few weeks ago, found it impossible to buy one at the advertised price. Buying from their site, the price jumped £80 just by going to checkout, a telephone call to them increased the price by £90, the salesman said "you can't expect us to sell laptops at the advertised price"...!! I am sure there are satisfied customers, but I gave up in disgust and bought one on ebay!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…