Buying computer in France

Boghound 15:25 12 Aug 04

If I buy a new computer in France pre-loaded with XP can I change the language to English and connect an English/U.S keyboard?

Salinger 15:29 12 Aug 04

The simple answer to that is NO. You will have to load an English version (and take a keyboard with you!)

Salinger 15:32 12 Aug 04

The simple answer to that is NO. You will have to load an English version (and take a keyboard with you!)

cga 15:38 12 Aug 04

Is it really as black as that. If you have a non English version you will certainly get some carry over of that language but I have a US version in Germany. I have a German keyboard attached an I have a choice of working in German or English.

In regional and language setting you should be able to choose more than 1 language and even more than 1 keyboard - setting the default as the one you want.

Unless ... the French version has these options removed?

Boghound 16:07 12 Aug 04

I just wondered if I changed the languge settings and keyboard settings to English/U.S. with a English keyboard connected it would function in English? Just a thought, as i speak French but it's not my 1st language and it's easier working in English!

ThePharcyde007 16:12 12 Aug 04

All the menu options help, etc will be in french

cga 16:14 12 Aug 04

I guess you are located in France then - otherwise no point.

As I said, unless there is something special about the French version, it should work providing you can cope with the odd bit of French.

You might also wish to consider working in English with a local keyboard (as I do) to make the local symbols (öäüß in my case) easier to get at.

cga 16:17 12 Aug 04

Try setting the language settings in your current system to French and see what is left in English.

If you set this up as an additional language then you can switch back easily on the language bar.

cga 16:40 12 Aug 04

Sorry - I tried the last suggestion myself and had difficulty in getting the language to stick. Probably needs more fiddling

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…