Buying Camcorders Aboard?

Blanc Glacier 19:36 02 Jun 04

Hi,
A friend of mine is considering buying a digital camcorder, however he said they are cheap aboard i.e. America. Do you recommend him purchasing aboard online or has anybody got better places online to purchase them from?

If anybody has any suggestions then that would be great. Thanks

jonnytub 19:42 02 Jun 04

especially in florida, i was looking at stuff over there on holiday (universal studios fab!!), and the ticket price is cheap, yet when you get to the till theres a tax to pay which puts the price on the same level as ours if not a little dearer.

Bagsey 20:23 02 Jun 04

UK uses Pal system USA is NTSC so not compatable.
Also you could find that they wont accept the USA warranty here in UK so would be faced with having to send camera back to the states if things go pear shaped.

Fruit Bat 20:35 02 Jun 04

Watch out for voltage of ac power pack US uses 110v we use 250v of course plugs incompatible aswell

jonnytub 15:14 03 Jun 04

if your friend did go to the states and buy a camcorder, he would find a little slider switch for 110v and 230v on the power packs of the majority of cameras as well as pal cameras being advertised absolutely everywhere, as for the warranty, this is where he may come unstuck, i found that, only sony, panasonic and jvc products carried an international warranty which is what you would need, where things to go "pear shaped"

Charence 16:56 03 Jun 04

Almost all electronics equipment now supports both PAL and NTSC (do check this though before purchase). At the moment the Pound is strong against the US$.

IF customs discover the equipment being sent to England, you will also find a large bill attached to the device because they will add tax to it. Anything new still in a box being transported to different countries will have this risk from customs.

Charence

Blanc Glacier 17:31 03 Jun 04

Ok thanks all for your help and advice. I will pass on the messages.

Meshuga 18:38 03 Jun 04

You might also get stung for import duty here. Meshuga.

stalion 18:44 03 Jun 04

I bought mine in lanzarote miles cheaper

PUNKA 20:05 03 Jun 04

You can get anything here all PAL works fine and with the current exchange rates about 30% cheaper.
stalion I looked around those shops in Lanzarote and Feurteventura and Gran Canaria and do you know what ?? they are all owned by the same bloke, and if he aint related to Del Boy I will be having a bet on England to win in Euro 2004.

stalion 20:48 03 Jun 04

had no trouble whatsoever with my purchase I got a good deal and just for added safety used my credit card.Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…