Buying AVG, need advice please

golfpro 11:37 02 Aug 05

I am getting rid of my Norton 2002 system works even though having just bought another 1 year licence.

I am going for AVG, although prices are pretty consistent from dealer to dealer, Were should I buy?

The other question is,I would like the English version but as I live in Austria (postage about 5 pounds), do I download, or buy the CD (just in case something happens)?

Is it worth buying the extra Fire Wall as Windows XP has this already included?

And the big question, how do you clean Norton from your system completely?

Hope you can help with my questions, thanks in advance.

leo49 11:58 02 Aug 05

Although I use the AVGPro version, except for greater choice of configuration options and front of the queue updating I could just as happily use the free one as there's no difference in the scanning ability.

If you do buy, don't bother with the CD just buy online from Grisoft. The serial number which you will receive is the important thing.In case of reinstall,you simply download the latest version of the Pro trial and inputting the serial converts to the full program.

The firewall option is new and I haven't tried it as I'm happy with Zone alarm.

Belatucadrus 12:14 02 Aug 05

click here How to uninstall Systemworks 2002.

click here Grisoft UK on-line purchase page. Though if you are a non profit home user you are eligible for the free version.

I use AVG & avast,both are good, but prefer avast click here for free version click here for purchase of Pro.
I'd download then burn a copy to CD.

Is it worth buying the extra firewall, that depends, if you're on dial up, then the Windows firewall, flawed as it is, is probably good enough. If you have an always on broadband connection, you should upgrade. But as with Anti Virus there are very good free versions available for non profit home use click here Kerio & click here Zone alarm.

golfpro 14:48 02 Aug 05

Thank you very much, I think that has answered most/all of my questions. It was that I had read somewhere that Norton was a pig to remove completely, and that leaving bits of it laying around in the registry could conflict with other AV programs.

I think I will Buy, and download as I am a believer in you only get what you pay for. I am also on BB cable but I think I will leave the fire wall for now.

One last question, (if anyone is still reading this thread). Is it better to uninstall Norton before installing AVG, or doesn't it matter???

leo49 14:54 02 Aug 05

Personally I would get rid of Norton first. You're not mistaken - Norton is a so and so to get rid of completely.Even after you follow the proper uninstall procedures there will be loads of redundant registry entries left but they shouldn't cause any problems.For the sake of tidiness it's a case of ploughing through the registry in regedit and deleting the detritus.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5