Buying advice please

kingkenny 19:40 27 May 03

Hello all,

I want to upgrade the sound quality on my PC. I use 2 speakers and onboard audio from mobo. I want to spend around £150-200 so was originally looking at buying:

Creative 5.1 5500 Digital speakers

Creative Audigy2 Soundcard

I know the reputation Creative has but, this is the problem, I only really know of them and Altec Lansing. Can anyone recommend good alternatives?

Maybe something I have overlooked due to unfamiliarity.

Thanks all

OneSirKnight 19:51 27 May 03

Hi m8,what is your o/s?
I and a friend both have audigy 2 soundcards on a xp pro system,and cannot report any problems,its a bit like one mans meat <proverb>

-pops- 19:55 27 May 03

I've built loads of machines with Creative audio systems in them. Only once have I had a problem which was cured by changing from one PCI slot to another.

If you currently have onboard sound it is important to ensure it is disabled in the BIOS and you shouldn't have any difficulties.

Brian

Ironman556 20:00 27 May 03

Terratec make high end soundcards, if you're planning to record sounds on your PC then they'd be a good choice.

Cambridge Soundworks are the same as the creative speakers.

There's nothing wrong with the sound you'd get from Creative products if you want improved sound for gaming, DVD & audio playback etc., although either Sony or Phillips (can't remember which) have just released a new range of soundcards, which you may want to look into.

click here may have some reviews you'll find useful.

kingkenny 12:26 28 May 03

Thanks guys for the postings

OneSirKnight - I have XP home as my o/s so should foresee any compatibility probs if i do go for Creative.

Pops - Cheers, I am aware of this put it is always handy to have a reminder. Can you tell me if the 5100 and 5300 speaker sets are any good?

Ironman556 - I will check out terratec and the link you posted on Sony stuff, looks good. I have Cambridge speakers at the moment. Cost £8 and the sound ain't too bad on games and music.

Anyone else have any thoughts or recommentdations on good soundcard/speaker set up?

kingkenny 12:27 28 May 03

That should read "shouldn't forsee any"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…