Buying advice - Intel versus AMD Athlon ?

Malverns 19:24 29 Jan 03

Would any member please offer their view. I am looking at a new PC and have specs from a reputable company , both very good. Final decision is should whether I go with an Intel chip,in this instnace Pentium 2.66 Ghz with RD RAM, or an Athlon chip XP 2600+ with DDR Ram.
Any thoughts from you experts ?

duplo 19:28 29 Jan 03

I like AMD but Others like Intel. You will get a great deal of advice from everyone.

In Ram and Processor terms I think the Intel may be faster.

Are there any other differences in they system?

Rayuk 19:32 29 Jan 03

Question wide open for intel/amd flame war.
What you have to check is if both systems cost the same,apart from the cpu what extras if any do either machines have.
Only today saw in mag 2 pcs from same builder 1/amd XP2400+ 2/ Intel 2.4GHz
The amd system had PC2700 as opposed to PC2100
19" monitor as opposed to 17"

tran1 19:33 29 Jan 03
  Malverns 19:37 29 Jan 03

I kinda thought that. To answer your question the MB for the Intel is Gigabyte GA 8IHXP with 512MB RDRAM (2 x 256 MB) and the AMD MB is a ASUS A7N8X Deluxe with 512 MB (2 x 256) Corsair PC3200 memory. The second MB has firewire and very good on-board sound , both have sufficient USB ports. Otherwsie spec are almost identical.Same case, hard drives (western digital), Pioneer DVD -ROM, Sony DVD+/-RW, Windows XP, etc. Any further thoughts ?

flecc 19:39 29 Jan 03

This question crops up regularly. Intel computers generally tend to be somewhat more stable and the processor has built in protection which ensures a graceful shutdown if the cooling fan fails for example. The same event on an Athlon processor would mean the end of it within a few seconds.

That may look like a huge bias in favour of Intel, but events like that are rare and AMD processors have an excellent performance and tend to be cheaper to buy. I have two AMD/Via equipped computers and one Intel. All perform well and are very reliable, but the Intel is the most stable and displays the lower procesor utilisation and greater stability in the system monitor.

The business community generally favour Intel, but this could be as much due to conservatism as anything else, while personal users are heavily biased towards AMD, partly due to the huge price discrepancy that used to exist, and for some, a bias against the Microsoft/Intel alliance.

flecc 19:43 29 Jan 03

Microsoft did not take the AMD Athlons into account when Windows XP was created so the support for AMD isn't all that could be desired, though this isn't very apparent in normal use. This situation is changing though and XP's successor will probably enjoy equal treatment.

duplo 19:44 29 Jan 03

If the prices are similar, it pains me to say this, but take the intel if i where you.

Rayuk 19:58 29 Jan 03

The A7N8X board comes with Asus C.O.P[cpu overheating protection]so no need to worry on that point.
It also comes with dual onboard ethernet which is a plus.
If going amd way make sure 2600+ cpu is 333fsb as this makes a difference
Is the RDRAM PC1066 or 800

STEVE71163 21:04 29 Jan 03

I have both AMD and Intel machines and can honestly say they both have their plus and minus points but when i build another one it will be a amd (Better value for money!)

Malverns 21:09 29 Jan 03

The ASUS MB has fsb is 333mhz. The RDRAM is PC1066.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…