buying 2nd hand computer with win xp

dijo 16:43 25 Feb 08

Hi there, I currently have an old computer with windows 98 on it, hard to believe I know, but some of us still have it!
anyway some neigbours of mine want to sell their comp it has windows 2002 xp on it, firstly will that be man enough to last me a few years, or do I really need vista, I dont want to download films, play games or any of that, just to surf the net/emails, edit photos etc, also can I legally buy a com with windows software that isnt registered to me?? They bought the computer just over a year ago and only want £200 for it, to include flat screen

Technotiger 17:14 25 Feb 08

Provided the sale includes the Original XP Cd and the correct Key number is on the label on the PC, then it is legal. Also that the original owners do not continue to use the same Copy of XP.

It should last you for a few years at least.

Gongoozler 19:27 25 Feb 08

You are better off without Vista unless the computer has at least 1G of memory. For what you want your neighbour's computer should be fine. Check how much memory it has. For XP 512M is the minimum, especially for photo editing, and anything up to 1G would be an enhancement. Over 1G you are unlikely to notice much improvement. You might also consider fitting a second hard drive if you want to store a lot of photos. Neither of these need be very expensive.

Technotiger 19:39 25 Feb 08

I agree with Gongoozler .....

dijo 15:24 26 Feb 08

Thanks so much guys for all your advice, I phoned them last night and am picking up my 'new' computer tommorow. X

Technotiger 15:25 26 Feb 08

Grreat - enjoy your 'new' computer. Cheers.

woodchip 15:43 26 Feb 08

98se is my computer of choise, i loaded XP Home on the same computer on another drive So I can see all Partitions as I made the new drive Fat32 so I can run Programs loaded on the 98se computer from XP without loading to XP

dijo 15:48 26 Feb 08

Wow woodchip, you have really lost me now, 'partitions' 'fat32', I have no idea what any of that is, I think I have a lot to learn, and I have been using computers, in offices/at home for about 25 years!!!!!!

Gongoozler 17:07 26 Feb 08

A little light reading.

click here

click here

click here

Technotiger 17:21 26 Feb 08

You have certainly found the right 'School' - LoL

woodchip 18:36 26 Feb 08

I removed the 98se drive to install XP on other drive to stop it loading files to 98se drive then refitted 98se drive and loaded Acronis OS Selector to dual boot

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced