Buy Windows '98 Updates on disk!

wee eddie 17:08 31 Aug 03

One of the reasons that I have not done a complete system restore lately, on my IBM K500, is the amount of time it takes me to download all the Updates through a 56kg modem.

Now that there will be no more Updates.

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy a disk with all the updates on it?

I am sure that there is a market out there, but will M$ let anyone fill it, or has someone done the job already.

Ironman556 17:14 31 Aug 03

It'd be pretty good to be able to get the updates on disc, but I think MS would prefer people to "update" to XP.

Are there any sites that host the old updates?

wee eddie 17:37 31 Aug 03

It's just that there will be no more new fixes.

In other words, if some ned decides to insert his nose into some newly found weakness, M$ will not bother to creates a fix.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:06 31 Aug 03

If it is any consolation I have never downloaded a MS Update onto my W98SE system.....no calamities or disasters to report.

G

wee eddie 19:54 31 Aug 03

I begin to see a light.

Most of these fixes are cosmetic or to deal with viruses that are comfortably handled by a normal AV program then.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:03 31 Aug 03

Yup!...;-))

G

Simsy 23:29 31 Aug 03

I'm in the same position as Gandalf...

with the excption that I've just applied the shutdown patch. I was having problems following a rebuild after a motherboard failure, which meant a new, faster processor. (now running an Athlon 1.1gig)

I do keep my av updated daily.

However... the question that started this thread is a good one... I'd be interestd in a positive answer?

Regards

Simsy

Ironman556 00:15 01 Sep 03

I never used to update, then I found out about all the things flying around the internet and got paranoid. I now realise that as long as you've got a good AV & Firewall, don't visit dodgy site and are sensible with email, you should be ok.

On the other hand, look at all the people MSBlast got, just because people don't download the critical updates.

wee eddie 15:55 01 Sep 03

Just to see if the mid-weekers have any take on this.

Perhaps FE might bring it up next time he is on the line to M$.

JoeC 16:05 01 Sep 03

updates for Win98, I went to the update site and downloaded all updates for Win98 then put them onto CDr just in case my wife's computer ever had a problem which required a re-install. Having BB helped a lot of course. : }

wee eddie 17:38 01 Sep 03

I was under the impression that it was necessary to download them directly into '98.

I could easily make a special partition on my Maxtor External drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…