To Buy or Not

charles60 13:02 18 Feb 11

HI need some help here I am getting confused a bit on whether to get a sound card or not some i have asked say don't bother the inbuilt one is fine for music and games while others ( including Staff @ computer shops Say you do need one they would say that anyway) because it would take the pressure off the motherboard and would give far better sound to my films ,games music etc . As I am building a fairly exspencive computer with top of the range graphic card with 3d would that be the right way to go and get a sound card the two that I was Looking at if going down that road are the Asus Xonar DX/XD 7.1PCI-E sound card or the Asus Xonar D2 Ultra Fidelity 7.1 PCI Sound Card (New Version) or maybe XONAR D2/XDT - Asus Xonar D2X Ultra Fidelity 7.1 Hi-Def PCI-Express Sound Card, Dolby/DTS/Cakewalk/Ableton Live/PMP Thanks for any advivce

BRYNIT 13:35 18 Feb 11

This question as, you've found can get different answers depending on the individuals experience.

I have found with a good set of speakers the on-board sound can be just as good as a dedicated sound cards.

The simplest way would be to try the on-board sound card with a good set of speakers. If you think the sound could be better then buy a dedicated card.

northumbria61 13:46 18 Feb 11

I have a good set of Logitech Speakers with large "sub-woofer" which works perfecly well and sounds great with on-board sound. I have never felt the need to go with a dedicated sound card although others may differ. At the end of the day everybodys ears are different. Try "Brynit" suggestions first then decide.

GaT7 14:10 18 Feb 11

"...it would take the pressure off the motherboard" - only some cards are capable. But if you already have an expensive, well-specced, modern PC the difference will be negligible & not worth worrying about.

And as the guys rightly say, the speakers are as important (if not more) than the soundcard itself.

I've an Aego M set click here, which is only 2.1 but the sound is terrific with either onboard or high-end dedicated soundcard with music, TV & games. I have actually sold my better soundcards & use onboard or a pretty standard Creative XtremeMusic card, depending on which system I'm running.

As you appear to be an extra-keen gamer, I think a 5.1 (or higher) surround-sound setup will suit you more though. G

charles60 15:19 18 Feb 11

Ermm the set of speakers I will be using Harman-Kardon-Soundstick and they will be the only spks I will be using But I will also be using virtual Surround sound headphones though usb port. Like Crossbow says shall I still Go for the 5.1 surround sound card?

GaT7 16:57 18 Feb 11

When I said '5.1 (or higher)', I meant speakers. As onboard or any dedicated soundcard these days will be at least 5.1. G

User-312386 17:27 18 Feb 11

I would say no dont get a dedicated card, you can then have driver conflicts etc etc. I have 5.1 headphones (not the usb drivel) and the sound is amazing when playing games. Buy a good set of headphones/speakers

charles60 18:02 18 Feb 11

Think will leave the sound Card alone then as most of you are saying the internal one is good enough thanks guys for all the help

shellship 18:47 18 Feb 11

I agree with Northumbria 61 - he must live near me - as I am currently listening to the end of Carmen and the quality is vg without a dedicated sound card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…