//some 3rd party need geo

Butying a New Hard Drive...

yarrpa 21:38 04 May 06

I've very little hardware experience at all, and would really appreciate if someone could help me out with the below query:

I was looking at hard drives on e-buyer earlier, with the intention of buying a drive to istall as a slave to my current hd, and noticed there are both SATA and IDE drives available (the differences are far from clear to me)...

My primary drive is a Segate Barracuda 7200.7, and I want a secondary drive to basically act as a media library...

Should I confine my shopping to either of the SATA or IDE categories?

I can set the drive I do purchase as a slave with the pins at the back, and slot into the system (there's room, and a connection available on the cable to the motherboaard), but is there likely to be anything else I'd need to do which would require technical assistance from an engineer or similar?

Many thanks in advance.....

Seadog 21:47 04 May 06

Get the same type of drive that is fitted, also, this sounds like aN IDE drive if there is another connection (plug?) on the cable, the SATA leads I have seen are single-ended if you see what I mean.
Simply switch off your computer, mount the drive in the case and connect the power and motherboard leads then switch on and let windows find the drive. You should then be able to format the drive from my computer or explorer and away you go.
One thing or problem is that your drive letters for your cd/dvd drives will change so you may have problems with some programs where you load a cd/dvd in to access the program.
A program like Partitionmagic will sort this though. If you have a copy it will also format the drive as well as re-arrange your drive letters/programs.

Totally-braindead 21:51 04 May 06

SATA is the latest type of drive and has different connectors. You need to know what you have before you buy. click here that is a IDE drive, notice it has a flat ribbon cable, if its SATA you have its a very small cable, about 10mm across.

Totally-braindead 21:54 04 May 06

You don't need Partitionmagic. If you put the second drive in as a slave you need nothing else. Except the screws to mount it.

yarrpa 22:05 04 May 06

It is indeed a flat ribbon cable, so I'll be grabbing an IDE drive...

Huge thanks for the prompt and informative repsonses (and deciphering the subject title)!

I'll be putting it in as a slave, as I said - unless that is, I should be doing something else. That was my low-brow solution to my storage issues...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:20 04 May 06

Fit 2nd HDD
click here
click here

Pata/ Sata Connection
click here

Prepare second hard drive in XP
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…