Busy and loud hard drive?

zincy 22:23 05 Feb 08

Hi all

My hardrive seems to be busy all the time and makes very loud noises? I am running windows vista and this hasnt happened before only in the last few days? I checked my programs with windows task manager and there doesnt seem to be any programs running and the cpu is 0-10%?

any ideas
thanks
zincy

Technotiger 22:28 05 Feb 08

How old is your hard drive ? May be a good idea to make sure you have anything important backed up, preferably to a second hard-drive or DVD.

lisa02 22:35 05 Feb 08

Could be indexing, have you made any changes of recent?

zincy 22:48 05 Feb 08

my hard drive is about a month old, along with the computer

lisa what do you mean by indexing? I added my logitech driver fior my mouse and keyboard but it didnt work as it didnt support vista maybe that could be the problem?

thanks for the input

Technotiger 22:56 05 Feb 08

Initially I was thinking that maybe the hard-drive was about to fail - but only a month old seems to rule that idea out. Still should not be making loud noises though.

Indexing is where the OS notes ALL of the files on the computer, in an Index, which is supposed to make things like finding files/programs quicker.

peter99co 23:02 05 Feb 08

Use Windows Defender to Check for active jobs via TOOLS>SOFTWARE EXPLORER to see what is running.Change category to Currently running programs.

Make sure you have your Warranty/Guarantee and Shop Receipts are handy in case you need to return to shop.Or are you able to call for assistance of a Computer Engineer.

Technotiger 23:02 05 Feb 08

If the loud noises continue, I would get it checked out at where you purchased it from. Had it been older I would have suggested possible causes/remedies, but I don't think it is a good idea to 'poke-about' with the software/hardware on a new computer. It is down to the Vendor to make sure your computer is all working in tip-top condition.

woodchip 23:21 05 Feb 08

Try defraging the drive

lisa02 23:30 05 Feb 08

I noticed HDD activity in Vista is heavy and the HDDs can be heard spinning. You try turning off indexing as I have done.

zincy 23:36 05 Feb 08

lisa how would i go about turning off the indexing?

lisa02 23:42 05 Feb 08

click here read the first couple of links.

It will slow down the search features in Vista but if that's not an issue then OK.

Good night folks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…