Business ISP comparison?

Hoseman 16:46 13 Sep 10

Hi, I know where to find ISP rankings and reviews for home use but I was wondering if there is an equivalent for business users.

Im trying to find out for my partner who is fed up with BT and wants another provider. Any ISP suggestions welcome but I'd really like to have a list of rankings/reviews.

Thanks. :)

wiz-king 17:32 13 Sep 10

First step is to find what is available at the exchange and work from there to find a supplier. I have used Newnet in the past and UKonline both have given good service. But it will depend on who has equipment at the exchange click here .

Hoseman 21:25 13 Sep 10

Hi Wiz and thanks. There doesnt seem to be many options on Samknows. There only seems to be 9 providers. Zen is not available yet their site measures the speed but doesnt mention that they cant provide broadband. Am I reading the data from SamKnows correct? Im looking at the LLU operator presence fyi.

wiz-king 08:01 14 Sep 10

Yup. You can use any ISP but the others will use the BT infrastructure at the exchange, the ones that are on the LLU list have their on equipment at the exchange but they still use BT's copper for the line connections. So you will still be limited by the lenght of line from the exchange to user. What you need is a low contention ratio from the ISP, this means less users per connection, click here offer 20:1, this should stop the 'after school' dip in speed as all the kids get home and connect. Not many ISP's publish this figure! You may have to ask.

wiz-king 08:05 14 Sep 10

You may find this site useful click here

Hoseman 09:41 14 Sep 10

Great, thanks very much.

jack 09:54 14 Sep 10

Without it seems any previous connection.
I had just compiled and posted this click here
When I noticed this post.
UKOnline is my provider in fact and as stated from me at any rate highly recommended.
What I would like to do is enter a discussion with them on how they may perhaps be affected[as other ISP's] with the presence of Fibre Optics in certain areas - or is it something BT are keeping all to themselves-
But the UKonline website 'contact Us' page is sales oriented.
I may just E-mail Tech Help to ask- perhaps may be.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac