A burp and then nothing !!!

Chattyone2 10:11 03 Jun 04

Hi, I am in trouble yet again.

When I am searching for various websites fro cheap flights ot the main airline website, I enter the address in the address bar. Then as the site starts to arrive there is a noise like a burp and it throws me back to my desk top. Having done this will both click here and also ww.klm.com I wonder if I have a virus of some sort which AVG is missing. I have tried to read what appears on the address bar just as it burps and it looks like click here then a few letters and then gateway is added to the address.

Can any one help

Operating Windows XP home edition

Graham ® 11:38 03 Jun 04

Does the 'burp' sound like a musical chord? That's the 'Critical Stop'. If you are using Internet Explore, it may need repairing.

Try using another browser click here

Graham ® 11:47 03 Jun 04

To repair IE click here

crimbo 12:03 03 Jun 04

Have you tried running any spyware checkers such as Adaware or Spybot?

Chattyone2 15:11 03 Jun 04

When I enter sfc /scannow,and click ok it immediately closes and takes me back to the desk top !!!

Any suggestions...

Chattyone2 15:12 03 Jun 04

I have run both Adware and Spybot...

keith-236785 15:36 03 Jun 04

if you have pop-up stopper on your system, it may be the warning noise associated with it stopping a pop-up window from opening. if this is the case, click the little picture with a red cross in it next to the wording Pop-Up Stopper in the menubar to disable the stopper.

or press and hold CTRL then try again with the website, see if you can access the pages properly now.

i seem to recall that the google bar also does this.

Chattyone2 16:19 03 Jun 04

tried disabling the pop up stopper but thta was not causing the problem.

I have down loaded Opera and that works, however I am not keen on Opera. Can I now remove Internet Explorer completely somehow and then re install it. If so is it available as a download?

Chattyone2 12:33 04 Jun 04

I thought that Opers was worl#king but it has the same problem...

IE is not logging what is happeniung as a fault!!! It believes it is shutting down correctly.

Tried System Restore going back three days before this started and its still happening.

HELP

mezzanine 12:52 04 Jun 04

i once had a tiny program on my pc that burped randomly. it must have been a bug/virus type thing. i have no idea where it came from but i found it hiding in the process list in task manager. can't remember what it was called though.

Dorsai 21:07 05 Jun 04

could be a trojan. Had one that would not let me access my e-mail. could access rest of www fine, went into e-mail and got always to the same place, but not where i was going, rather slowley if you know what i mean.
try 'hijackthis' or 'cwshredder'
cant remeber where i got them, but other fourums mention both. so someone should be able to help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…