Burnt out motherboard?

steved 11:59 10 May 03

Stupid stupid stupid - can't beleive I did it. Installing new cd drive, booted up to check it worked and notice that I hadn't plugged in it's power... so I plugged it in, the PC stopped booting, and hasn't worked since.

I guess that I've fried the motherboard, but before I order a new one just thjought I'd check with you guys. The boot process gets as far as confirming the processor and that the memory is okay, then freezes on "detecting IDE drives" Is there any possibility that it's somethinbg other than the motherboard (he asks hopefully?)

Steve

Legolas 12:55 10 May 03

I'm not sure its your m/b thats the problem. The fact that it freezes while detecting IDE drives would point to the problem perhaps being caused by the cd drive you were installing. Try going into the BIOS and detecting the cd drive from there and then booting or you could try clearing the bios and rebboting. I would explore other avenues before going to the expense of buying a new m/b.

check all the connections to the new drive,Legolas is right that its not a problem with the mobo if the processor and memory are detected. check the jumpers on the new drive.

steved 09:31 12 May 03

Phew - removed the new drive and rebooted, everything okay. Reinstalled new drive again (with power off this time, naturally!) and rebooted, everything still okay and new drive detected!

Thanks guys - panic that I'd fried the (month-old) motherboard stopped me trying the obvious!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…