Burning with XP any tips?

cycoze 16:41 12 Nov 03

Using my 98SE based machine with a non buffer/burn proof Creative CDRW , i would exit all programs in the Systray (AV FireWall), then shut everything off via ctrl`alt`del with the exception of Explorer and Systray , never use a screensaver , i can then burn with no problems.

Now i have installed XP i would like some advice on how to burn successfully , i have read that its best to turn off Windows own burning facility (need to work out how)as i have either Nero 5.5 or PlexTools Pro that came with my Plextor Premium drive .

If i use ctrl`alt`del i can obviously shut off any running applications but i am not sure if i need to shut anything off under the `processes` tab , and indeed is it at all necessary?

froggg 17:24 12 Nov 03

probably not necessary,just install nero and burn.Use a slower burn speed if it would make you happier!

cycoze 23:58 13 Nov 03

Well i have tried copying an audio cd (yes a legal one from a private studio) , i turned off the obvious and ran a speed test , results suggested burning at 40X , i opted to play safe and ran it at 32X.

Unfortunatly the resulting copy when played was full of jitter/skip , so i tried again at 20X with a slightly better but not a good enough result , i will have a go at a slower speed later.

The writer is a Plextor Premium drive 52X , the DVD drive is a Sony DDU 1612 which has is a 16X-40X .

Checked Nero help files which suggested a slower speed and to try better hardware ? i thought Plextor and Sony were up there , also tried the web site , unfortunatly all the downloads i clicked on failed to show up.

Can anyone help please , i can still copy ok with my other machine but really want to get this sorted.

User-312386 00:09 14 Nov 03

i would not personally use the XP one, use nero

hugh-265156 00:15 14 Nov 03

i have both and there is no conflicts between nero or windows own burning software.

you can turun it of if you really want to in:

start/control panel/performance and maintenance/administrative tools/services

scroll down to imapi cd burning com service

double click and set to disable and restart the computer

ps.if set to manual it will only start up when you want it to,set to disable and it wont run at all,auto starts up with windows

i have mine set to manual and use nero as above no problems.

hugh-265156 00:17 14 Nov 03

pps.my drive is capable of fast speeds but i normally burn at x8 and find for music it gives the best quality.

takes about five mins for 80min cd(go make a cuppa while doing it)

cycoze 00:31 14 Nov 03

Thanks for the response so far.

huggyg71 my other system burns at a maximum of 8X and i never get any problems with that on audio or data , just seems a shame in this case not to be able to run things a little faster.

hugh-265156 00:40 14 Nov 03

faster burning speeds dont really save that much time in reality.

a min or two at best

cycoze 00:44 14 Nov 03

What do you burn at for data ? do you think 8X is a better option again.

I will go and try another audio copy at 8x.

froggg 11:56 14 Nov 03

try this click here
to close running progs,but Imo this isnt the problem.
have you tried burning from your computer,not copying?
btw ,check your cd drives for firmware updates

hugh-265156 14:35 14 Nov 03

for data if im doing an image back up of the hard disk i choose x4 lol,just in case.this takes a few hours,i just do something else while its doing its job.

for everyday stuff i keep it at x8 still.

i dont care about how fast it burns it so long as its error free and this speed always works well for me,even with dodgy cdr media so i stick with it.

smallish files burn in a few seconds even at this speed anyway.and i can still use the computer to do other things when its burning larger files to past the few minutes i have to wait.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…