Burning WAV Files.

wesparmalee 18:35 15 Oct 05

I have a collection of songs in WAV format from some old vinyl records i ripped onto my harddrive.I now want to put these tracks onto a cdr without losing any quality.Can i just burn these tracks as they are straight onto a blank disc,or should they be converted into another format?The reason i ask this question,is that i've burned a few files this way before,but when i tried to put some of these tracks back onto my pc from the disc,they no longer seem to be WAV files anymore.I know this is probably very simple,but i'm very simple.Please advise,thanks.

Diemmess 19:19 15 Oct 05

Try Audacity, a simple edit progam which is free and gives a choice of simple editing and exporting formats.
click here

PC Bilbo 19:21 15 Oct 05

Can you tell us a bit more about the O.S and software you used to rip to your PC and also if you can what format the music files are now in.?

This will give a better chance someone can help you.

wesparmalee 20:22 15 Oct 05

The files are now in WAV format,as i ripped the vinyl straight to WAV for better quality.My real question is regarding the burning of these files to disc.I used Nero Wave Editor to rip the old vinyl records.I'm using Window xp also.

GaT7 20:52 15 Oct 05

Burning an *audio* CD will result in a [maximum] sample rate of 44.1 kHz (16-bit), whatever the original file - wav or other.

If you want 'better' quality music on a disk, you'll need to burn a DVD-audio disk (some info click here & click here), & have all the necessary tools for creation & players/speakers to be able to play & hear the difference. G

GaT7 20:59 15 Oct 05

"Contrary to the popular misconception, audio CDs do not use WAV as their storage format. The commonality is that both audio CDs and WAV files have the audio data encoded in PCM, but WAV is a data file format for computer use..." - from click here.

So I doubt wav files are any better quality or sounding than their CD cousins - but I may be wrong! G

Granger 10:44 17 Oct 05

When you burned the audio CD the files would have been converted to a format suitable for normal CD players (.cda file extension). You can burn a CD with the .wav files unchanged if you want, by just dragging and dropping using Windows Explorer, but they won't play on all CD players.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…