//some 3rd party need geo

Burning smell from monitor

Thatslife 08:24 22 Jun 06

I offered to install my old graphics card on my friends PC (P4 3.4Ghz XP home) as he was using the onborad graphics and needed a bit more power to play his game.

The card I installed was Geforce 5200 128mb.

When I connected it and after re-starting the computer a burning smell started coming out of the monitor and the screen was blank.

Removed the card and went back to on board and it's fine.

The monitor is a 6 year old CRT he got for £20 from a coputer fair - The card was working fine when I removed it from mine. Could the monitor not take the output from the card?

xania 09:01 22 Jun 06

Possibly the Monitor is set a too high setting for the card? Set the card abd the monitor to their most basic settings and then try again.

spuds 10:13 22 Jun 06

Be careful when you start to get burning smells from electronic/electrical components, especially if they are 'aged'. Stress could be putting to much pressure on certain parts, which may lead to eventual breakdown.

Paying £20 for a six year old CRT monitor is not a wise decision nowadays. These type of units (17") are available for about £40/£50 with a three year warranty, if you shop around.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…