burning photos on to dvd?

Does anybody know of any freebie programs which enable me to back up my photos on to dvd and transfer on to another hd as I have tried numerous times with drag to dvd/cd/drive and it comes up showing it there but when you click to get the item to work nothing?

Thanks for any help.

€dstowe 15:36 30 Jun 06

Do you really want your photos on a DVD?

A DVD will store many, many , many thousands of JPEG images and it always seems to me that to entrust all of these to a single disk is not very wise, especially as a DVD is so much more delicate than a CD.

If you do use a CD then the basic CD writer in WXP should do the job for you.

Stuartli 15:44 30 Jun 06

You can't burn photo files merely by dragging and dropping them to a CD drive, you have to use a burning programme such as Nero.

If you use a CD-R in multisession form you can add photo files (or anything else for that matter) to a CD-R until it is full (Finalise it before the last burning session).

Make sure you keep a proper record of what is on the disk and do at least two copies in case one ever gets damaged.

Full details of how to create and add to multisession disks is provided on the Nero website in the Help section (download the manual).

€dstowe 06:51 02 Jul 06

Via email:

"My winxp cd is not having none of it the reason for burning on to dvd is to move to another hard disk so I can move in a bigger amount this is the only reason"

Noldi 08:30 02 Jul 06

Photos on a disk is not the best way to back up photos, as suggested above CDs get broken and very easy in my experience, OK write them on a disk to show friends but you should use a external hard drive if the photos are of any value to you.
You can write to disc with Windows media player and this you should have on your computer, Or right click the photo and send to G? or what letter your CD writer is.

Noldi

FatboySlim71 08:47 02 Jul 06

I would be careful burning your photos to disc, I had a disc that had pictures on, this disc was about 2-3 year old, I went to look at the pictures the other week and the disc is now unreadable, I have tried countless recovery discs as some try to recover corrupted/damaged data, but I had no success at recovering them, good job that I had prints of the photos that I had lost. Appantly there is some mention on these forums about this issues.

I now use a photo hosting service, called FLICKR, which basically is like an online photo album, you can choose to make all your photos visably to all or just selected people, it is a lot more safer to have them stored on FLICKR's servers/site than saving them to disc, I found this out to my cost. The FLICKR service is free but you are limited to how much you can upload in a month (this total is reset at the begining of every month) or you can choose a paid for service which costs $24.95 (about £13-15) per year and this gives you a massive 2GB upload limit per month, which should be enough for the most happy snapper. This is FLICKR's site,

click here

Stuartli 08:49 02 Jul 06

I have multisession CD-Rs containing photo files backups which are at least four years old in some cases and I have no problem in either reading them or using them to transfer the files.

FatboySlim71 09:00 02 Jul 06

I suppose its a gamble (I would choose not to take this gamble) as to how long the data will be readable, but I still think its far safer having your photos stored on a photo hosting site like FLICKR. If you read the below threads, there are point raised here about the longevity of data on recordable media.

click here

click here

FatboySlim71 09:03 02 Jul 06

Tayio Yuden media, is regarded by many to be the best brand of media that you can buy, Im sure I read somewhere about this brands media having a 100 archive life.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

New iOS 11 release date rumours UK | new features coming to Siri, FaceTime, Messages and Video