Burning DVDs with Nero-verification?

spider9 09:57 10 May 06

I have some home movies which I have on DVDs and am copying them onto blanks (for other family members to be bored in private!!). I have always, when copying, ticked the 'verification' box and have had no problems.
Today I have twice had errors in the verification process, but when I abort and put the disc into my DVD player the DVD plays exactly as normal.
My question - is it necessary to do the 'verification' procedure? What advantage is it?

Totally-braindead 10:19 10 May 06

I've never used it, I'm sure theres a disclaimer somewhere in the Nero software, perhaps on install I can't remember that warns you that it may not work with some media and recorders.
Bit strange it was working ok before though.

oldal 10:42 10 May 06

Its almost certain to be a media problem . The verification process checks that the copy is absoluely identical to the original. If you are picking or dropping a few bits the correction logic on your DVD player will correct this so playback will be OK.
Might be worth-while cleaning the read/write lens of your DVD burner as this could give you this problem

spider9 10:50 10 May 06

Thanks for that, guys, it may well be the discs as I did try some different ones lately.
How do you go about cleaning the burner lens? Is it easy? I have an external USB2 Samsung, if that's any help!
Cheers.

Totally-braindead 10:57 10 May 06

I don't know if cleaning the lens will help but its easy to do with the DVD lens cleaners you get out of the likes of Tescos and Woolworths, cost about £3 if I remember rightly and you can use them on your stand alone dvd player and any cd player as well. I bought mine from Tescos. They are basically a cd with brushes mounted on them.

Totally-braindead 10:59 10 May 06

Personally I don't think using one of the dvd lens cleaners I mentioned all the time is a good idea as I am concerned that it may with constant use scratch the laser lens. I probably use mine 2 or 3 times a year if that.

spider9 11:17 10 May 06

Thanks again, stupid me did not realise it was just a disc cleaner (and I use a tape cleaning tape in my video, so should have thought about it!!) - I had visions of opening the unit up and looking for the lens!!
But, as with my tape head cleaner, I would only use it sparingly as you suggest. Many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…