Burning CD's from Vinyl

Sat Diver 12:42 06 Jan 04

Can anyone recomend s simple software program to burn CD's from vinyl. Don't need a lot of 'bells & whistles' but need to be practical and not too pricy

stlucia 12:49 06 Jan 04

If you've already got a sound card and CD burner, you can probably start off with the software which came with them. The sound card software should enable you to get the LP tracks onto your hard disk, and then your burner software will enable you to compile them into an audio CD.

Freeware LPRipper will allow you to record a whole side of an LP without breaks, and then it will (usually) split it into individual tracks.

Ben Avery 13:04 06 Jan 04

What sort of turntable are you using?

The reason I ask is that, when ripping from a standalone turntable, you need to ensure that the phono stage (a pre-amplifier for the turntable's very low output) is used BEFORE the PC. To explain:

A turntable has a very low output and so if plugged directly into the PC's Line In socket, will record in a very poor sound quality. A Pre-amp (in this case, the Phono stage) is therefore needed to "boost" the signal to make it audible through the normal amplifier. In many cases, the amplifier itself will have a Phone input (called phono due to having a phone Stage built into the amplifier) but in some cases (like mine) the turntable is routed through a small Pre-amp box to boost the signal (Some turntables even have this box built into them).

To ascertain which you have, let me know what you record player (turntable) plugs into, or if it's part of an all-in-one system.

If it's part of a system or plugs into a PHONO input on your amp, you will need to record from the Amplifier itself and NOT the turntable. Use either the tape loop output or even the headphone socket to do this.

If it's a standalone player with a Phone stage (Built in or separate) then you can bypass the amp and plug the phono stage directly into the PC.

You will then need a wave editing program (try something like Wavelab) to record the sound from your turntable.

Ensure that you PC is configured to accept the incoming sound by plugging the turntable/amplifier into the LINE IN socket on your soundcard and then selecting LINE IN for your recording device in the Audio Properties.

You should then be able to record the whole LP as 2 wavefiles (Side A and Side B of the LP) and then cut them into tracks using your software.

Hope this helps and isn't too long a post!

(I'm turning into Taran!)

Sheila-214876 15:10 06 Jan 04

I use LP Recorder and LP Ripper (they are not freeware - don't know where you got that from stlucia). The trial version of LP Ripper is limited to 25 seconds and the trial version of LP Recorder is limited to 4 minutes. You can get them from click here You will need a cable from the "lineout" or "headphone" socket on your hi-fi to the "line in" on your soundcard and it has to be done in real time, using LP Recorder. Then use LP Ripper to split them back into separate tracks. They are recorded as .wav files, use your burner software to burn them to CD.

drcmunro 15:14 06 Jan 04

I use the nero wave editor to record wav files from my soundcard's line in socket, and then split them into individual tracks before burning. It also lets you add filters eg to remove scratches.

stlucia 15:22 06 Jan 04

I stand corrected, ennuye. I don't remember paying for my copy of LP Ripper, and it certainly isn't limited to 25 seconds, but I accept that it now costs about 30 US Dollars.

greenlamp 23:10 06 Jan 04

LP Ripper v4.1 was available on the cover disk of the January issue of PCW magazine. Not the most up to date version [demo of v6.2 on same disk] but it works. I have found both the sound recorder that came with my Creative sound card and the Nero wave editor both acceptable for the actual recording.

Sheila-214876 10:40 07 Jan 04

stlucia, sorry didn't mean that to sound offensive. Also, (again not being offensive) but the company is based in Australia so probably Aust Dollars.

stlucia 11:10 07 Jan 04

No offence taken, ennuye. Things always "sound" a bit more abrupt when they're in print, don't they?

So far as the price is concerned, the 30 is US dollars -- the price in Aus currency is about 50 if my memory serves me correct.

Sheila-214876 11:56 07 Jan 04

stlucia, I apologise, you're dead right. Prices have gone up an awful lot since I bought them. I bought both programmes as a download from the Australian site for the equiv of £20. Now I see both together paid in US$ is £30.32, if you download from the alternative site. If you download from the Aussie site and pay in Aus$ it works out at £37.90 - £7 more!!!

Trackrat 12:59 07 Jan 04

Take a look at this site click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…