Burning CD's From Audio Tapes and LP's

Franknferter 20:18 12 Apr 03

I have installed Nero V 5.5 burning software and can copy and compile CD's from other CD's.

Question: What equipment do I need or how do I make a CD from my Hi-Fi audio tapes and LP's.

I'm new to CD burning so please keep your replies simple.

Tj_El 21:00 12 Apr 03

have a look at this link: click here

I hope it give you all the detail you require.

Regards
Tj_El

toxin 21:07 12 Apr 03

Hi Frankenferter!

The first thing you need is a cable to connect from your HiFi to your sound card, you will probably need, (depending on the sockets on the hifi) a cable with two rsa plugs at the hifi end and a 3.5mm jack plug at the sound card end.

Any good computer shop should stock these.

When connected you can use the wave editor in Nero to record the track as a wav file to your hard disk, and when you have about 27 tracks, this should be sufficient to burn the compilation using the "Disk at Once" method.

Use a 44khz rate and a 16 bit depth, this will give you a file of some 30mb in size.

When you burn, if you want a high quality disk,keep your burn speed down to 8x or 16x; any higher and you may get problems which will not be apparent until you play the disk in your cdr or hifi.

Nero will convert the file to cda, and then if you are short of HD space, you can convert the file to an mp3 or wma, both of which will reduce the file size.

Hope this helps, if not come back and i'm sure more knowledgeable chaps than I will be able to help.

Toxin.

daba 21:17 12 Apr 03

You will need to record to your hard drive from the 'line in' socket on your PC.

Don't know if Nero has 'line-in' recording, as I use "MusicMatch Jukebox", and I commend it.

I assume your stereo or hi-fi system has a 'line-out' socket. in which case just connect line-out from your stereo to line-in on your pc audio sockets.

If your stereo doesn't have line-out, then some experimentation with output from the headphone socket might give you a good record level, but might well also blow your sound-card if set too high. NOT RECOMMENDED !! Also if you use the headphone socket it will be difficult to determine where the music tracks start and stop.

If no line-out on your stereo system, then for cassette recording to the PC, I would recommend a quality "walkman". Some have a line-out socket, obviously for feeding the sound into a domestic stereo or hi-fi system.

For LPs, the situation is more difficult, as you will need to amplify the signal from the pickup to be suitable for the line-in on your pc. I am extremely lucky, as I was persuaded to buy a "record deck" (remember them!!) with my Aiwa stereo system. Aiwa decks have a pre-amplifier built into them, as they usually connect to an input on the main unit that is suitable for connection to a Video, Satellite, or other line-out connections.

Franknferter 21:43 12 Apr 03

Many thanks for your information. I'll get back to you if I require further help.

BigRothy 22:36 12 Apr 03

Franknferter,
Daba's advice on your queery is on the money.However,you will need to clean up the file once you've ripped it or else you'll have to put up with the annoying crackles and hiss on the recording.I use Magix Audio Cleaning Lab v1.03 and reckon it's the best on the market for this purpose.There are two short video files on the program that tell you everything you need to know(Hi-Fi connection to computer and how to clean up the sound with Magix).Also,you can use the wizard included in the program that makes the cleaning operation a piece of cake.Once you've used the cleaner,put all the recordings in a folder in the format you have chosen with Magix(mp3 or wav)then burn with Nero.Hope this helps!

daba 23:30 12 Apr 03

BigRothy - thanks for your acclaim.

Also thanks for your recommendation of Magix.

I've been looking around for a quality, but predominantly easy-to-use cleaner. I'll look it up and perhaps give it a try.

On the subject of crackles, pops, and hiss, I transferred one persons treasured vinyl to CD, and he positively forbid me to clean them in any way - he wanted to be reminded just how bad things used to be !!! How's that for a rampant nostalgic ?

If you haven't tried MusicMatch yet, it does all I want it to do, and it's dirt cheap at the moment. What I particularly like is the recording straight to .mp3 without an intermediate .wav, and burning has been a 100% success rate so far.

Fastflys 20:43 13 Apr 03

Hi,

Fastflys son of Franknferter poking his nose in.

Will pass on your information - Franknferter unavailable today.

Franknferter has MusicMatch installed. Is it better than Nero for burning CD's from audio tapes/LP's - sounds like it is?

There is an upgrade for USD$19.99 available, does he need to purchase it?

daba 23:04 14 Jun 03

The crunch of it all is that you wouldn't want to go straight to CD from CD/Tape/LP/Mic or whatever, 'cos if something goes wrong, like the deck being knocked, or the tape slipping or whatever, then you've blown your CD.

The trick is to record your input onto your PC hard disk first.

Usually this involves "ripping" the audio input onto a Windows .WAV format file, at about 10Mb per minute, then a CDA (CD Audio, for playing in domestic hifi, and car players) can be burned (burnt ?) from the .WAV file. However if you want a MP3 format CD (getting more popular, as its only about 1Mb per minute), the .WAV has to be converted to MP3 before burning.

I prefer to record to the PC straight to mp3 format, at CD audio quality rate, something that MusicMatch does especially well. Perhaps someone will tell me which others can, but I believe there aren't many "PC based audio systems" (for want of a better description), that can rip and comvert 'on-the-fly'.

When it comes to creating your CD layout in the burner part of MusicMatch, simply drag'n'drop ANY type of audio file into the CD layout, choose the type of CD you want to burn, MP3 or CDA , press 'Burn' and away it goes.

For your $19.99 (wats that? about a round of drinks with 'yer mates), you get a smooth, integrated app. that does it all. By the way, I bought Nero, but have never installed it yet.

PS. When I bought my CD-Writer, it came with Adaptec (now Roxio) Easy CD Creater v3.0. It took several e-mails to Adaptec support for their software to recognise and use the drive - conversely I made my first music CD on that drive 10 minutes after physically installing it - MusicMatch just saw a CD-Writer drive and was happy to use it.

Summary - I've probably not got much of a clue about the other packages about, because I haven't got any need to try them out. Perhaps one day MMJB won't be able to do something that somebody elses app. can.

PS on the summary : $19.99 is for LIFETIME upgrades......

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…