Burning a CD

YAN003 09:11 31 Mar 04

Hi, I have been recommended to back up my Drivers by burning to a CD. (Using Pinnacle Instant)

If I simply drop the file into Instant Write the file does not appear to fully burn to CD (goes so far then message pops up stating unable to copy)....

If however I send the driver file to desk top (creating short cut) and do the same, the file appears to be burnt within seconds.

So can anyone advise me if this is correct or am I (not be the first time) doing some thing wrong.

stlucia 13:39 31 Mar 04

Have you viewed the burned CD using Explorer to see what's been recorded? It sounds to me like you may have burned just the shortcut onto the CD -- it's a tiny file, so would be very quick.

I'm not familiar with Pinnacle Instant, so will have to leave it to others to advise you step by step.

Diemmess 16:57 31 Mar 04

I took a look at Pinnacle Instant in Google and a review click here which was pretty uncomplimentary.

I'm not sure how big a hole you are in, but perhaps Roxio or Nero CD software would be a start towards reliable CD burning. ...... Backups can be rather different from copies particularly when you are trying to make a valid safety link for when your O/S and basic stuff go belly up. Take it one step at a time, and I hope you have better luck.

stalion 22:08 31 Mar 04

Hello Diemmess sorry to jump in here,read the review on Pinnacle Instant and it is just about as bad as Pinnacle Studio

cycoze 22:41 31 Mar 04

Try making a new folder then copy and paste the driver file into that , you can then try dragging the folder to the icon , or try bringing up the pinnacle program and select to burn a data cd , then choose what files you want to burn from there.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 22:45 31 Mar 04

What drivers are you tring to back up? Most come as exe files if you dload them off the net and some you should have on cd's just burn the exe files to cd or make a folder called drivers put them all in there and burn that to cd.

Regards.

woodchip 22:52 31 Mar 04

You cannot in theory backup files i.e drivers in use, that's Why you are better getting Drive Image and make a backup of you Drive while it's working ok You can then put it all back in about ten mins if goes up the spout

HXP 01:14 01 Apr 04

Hi

I have had same sort of problems with this software - the fix I used was to use the instant format to format the disk ! and then right click the file I wanted to copy and send to burner.

Having said that my brand new machine failed a day later so it is back with the manufacturer !!

HXP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…