Burning an AVI to play on my DVD player

OK Computer 17:54 12 Nov 04

I was wondering if someone could tell me if it is possible and if so how to burn an AVI file on to CDR to play on my DVD player.

Do I need particular software or can I just go ahead and burn onto disk. By the way I do not have a DVD RW so it will be going onto standard CD ROM.

Cheers!

pj123 18:02 12 Nov 04

Just burn it as a VCD

Noelg23 18:02 12 Nov 04

you're going to need a DVD writer, cos first of all you need a CD burning software like Nero 6 (the best ever!) and that can turn an AVI file to a VCD so you can play it on a DVD player or your DVD drive. but it increases the size of the AVI file by at least 2x so thats why you need a DVD writer. I have tried this but to no avail...but there is one way but you will still have a problem and its very long winded so cant really explain it on here...I am sure that someone knows how to put an AVI onto CD-R without going over the 700MB or 800MB limit of the disc...

DerekR 18:26 12 Nov 04

click here

Try this site - all you'll ever need to know - a mine of great info

OK Computer 18:34 12 Nov 04

Thanks.

Don't think im onto a winner here! Never realised that converting the AVI into VCD (so it becomes DVD player compatible) would make the file so big! It's a 710mb file so I'm already using over burn to get it onto a standard 700mb CDR!!!

Thanks anyway

TomJerry 18:41 12 Nov 04

you must have missed something. MPEG1 (which VCD uses) will be at least 10 times smaller than AVI.

Noelg23 18:52 12 Nov 04

maybe thats cos it uses MPEG4...how can I be sure its MPEG1? trust me Tom I have been trying to convert AVI to VCD using Nero 6 but it keeps increasing the file size...now I dont know if I have missed something but I am still trying to know how burn AVI to VCD without the file size getting too big for the CD.

woodchip 19:09 12 Nov 04

Have you got a CDRW drive? if not you cannot burn anything

Noelg23 19:13 12 Nov 04

woodchip I think our friend has a CDRW drive otherwise he wouldnt be asking...and if its me your asking yes I have one.

woodchip 19:17 12 Nov 04

He say's above a "standard CD ROM"

OK Computer 19:37 12 Nov 04

Sorry, I meant standard CD ROM disc.

Yes I have a CDR. I tried some demo software that converted the first mb of my AVI file. It went from 1mb to 9mb!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…