Burners/DVD players disappear (XP)

Aegisthus 09:39 14 Jan 05

I have had a computer (P4 1.6Ghz, 256 RAM, 64 Geforce 2, 40 HDD) running XP for a few years. It was going alright, until one day I turned it on & the CD burner (Acer) & DVDROM (Liteon) were displayed as CDROM drives or NOT recognised AT ALL in My Computer. I tried restarting, running the disks that came with the drives, however it made no difference. Sometimes when I started the computer they were CDROMs & other times they didn't exist. Eventually I reinstalled Windows, however the drives disappeared after the restart. I took it to a tech guy, who replaced the drives with a DVDROM (?) & DVD burner (LG), as well as adding a 80G HDD, upgrading to XP Pro & adding 256RAM (I wanted the upgrades for video editing). The computer was working fine for a while (was running games well, and burning DVD's) but recently the DVD burner is being displayed as a cd burner in Nero, & when Nero recognizes it as a DVD burner, the drive stops burning during the lead-in or lead-out.

Does anyone have any advise about the problem?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:30 14 Jan 05

Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager. This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio software. Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values. Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them. Close regedit and restart the computer. If if doubt make a restore point before making changes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…