Burn movies to CD, not DVD?

splinternet 10:54 30 Sep 06

I've got a holiday movie I want to send to a friend. I did a simple download via firewire from my digital camcorder and have now got a 28Mb .wmv file which is too big to email. I have a CD burner but not a DVD burner, so I thought I could burn it to CD. In Windows Explorer, if I right-mouse click on the file, up pops the option "Add to Burn List", which adds it to the burn list in WMP (10). But when I select "Start Burn" in WMP, it seems to treat it as an audio file and only transfers a few Kb of garbage. How can I get it to burn the whole movie?

Diodorus Siculus 11:16 30 Sep 06

Burn it as a data file and then whoever gets it can view it on their PC.

splinternet 11:26 30 Sep 06

Should I do that using WMP? (sorry for sounding naive, I'm a bit entry-level when it comes to burning anything other than music)

rodriguez 11:37 30 Sep 06

Don't use WMP at all, even for burning audio CDs as it messes about with file conversion and takes a lot longer than Nero or other normal burning software. If you want to burn it as a data CD to be played in a computer, start up Nero or whatever other burning software came with your PC, and make a new data CD and just drag the file over and burn it. If you didn't have any burning software with your PC, you could click here for a list of free ones to download.

splinternet 18:48 30 Sep 06

Doesn't Windows XP come with a CD burning utility for data files? I assumed I could use Windows Explorer to simply drag & drop the .wmv file to the CD drive.

rodriguez 18:57 30 Sep 06

Yes you should be able to do that. If you put a blank CD in and drag the file over, it will say there are files waiting to be written to CD in a yellow balloon at the bottom. Click the balloon and it should start the CD writing wizard. I don't think this works with DVD discs tho, only CDs.

Diodorus Siculus 19:04 30 Sep 06

Yes, you can.

Diodorus Siculus 19:04 30 Sep 06

Whoops... should have refreshed...

splinternet 09:39 01 Oct 06

This isn't working (dragging & dropping in Windows Explorer). I put a blank CD in (drive D:) but get msg "D:\ is inaccessible. Incorrect function". Right-mouse click on D: shows a "Format" option - should I run this first?

Diodorus Siculus 10:28 01 Oct 06

click here and download / install DeepBurner - free and easy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…