Bundled Nero v5 with new PC.

SEASHANTY 15:29 24 Aug 03

I am posting this for anyone who may be considering upgrading their CD-RW drive. My oldest Medion PC came with Nero v5.1 bundled with included software. This version was upgraded to 5.5. and I later removed the original Sony 20x CD-RW drive for a TDK 32x CD-RW drive. Usually I use Roxio Plat v5 for cd copying. This was a retail boxed edit which I installed. Recently I tried Nero and got a message saying, "Nero will only work with the originally installed CD-RW drive". Guess it wants the Sony back in again. So anyone with a preinstalled version of Nero should beware if they intend changing a CD-RW drive for a later model. May have to buy a new version of Nero also.

The Sack 15:42 24 Aug 03

You can unlock your OEM branded version by purchasing a serial number from Ahead, it then becomes the full retail version.

SEASHANTY 16:04 24 Aug 03

The Sack.

Thanks for the info. I think I will eventually install Nero v6 on my later PC but it will have to
drop in price first. Don't fancy keep forking out to
Nero. I may decide to remove the TDK drive and fit a
DVD recorder - in which case I suppose I would have to pay again.

bremner 16:06 24 Aug 03

I have an OEM copy of Nero5 upgraded through to 5.5.

I have recently changed my Teac CD Writer to a Pioneer DVD Writer and have had no problems with Nero at all.

The Sack 16:11 24 Aug 03

bremner

that is because yours wasnt a branded OEM version, if you have not bought a licence for it it should still only allow burning to one drive at a time and a few other features will also be disabled.

SEASHANTY

The burning engine in nero 6 is no different from 5.5 and 6 has some nasty bugs in it, the best one (now fixed) had a habbit of wiping your entire hard drive, nice.

bremner 16:26 24 Aug 03

How can you tell if it is branded or not?

I have certainly not bought a licence yet everything seems to work.

krypt1c 16:37 24 Aug 03

The difference is a true OEM version has the key coded into the cd drive. When you install you don't get prompted for a key.This restricts use to a specific cd drive. If you have to enter the key when installing then you can use it with any compatible cd drive. FYI you can buy an oem 5.5 version with the key from click here for £14

bremner 16:49 24 Aug 03

Thanks krypt1c

I have the key with my OEM copy

The Sack 16:55 24 Aug 03

because it will only work with one brand of burner (not just a single drive, if you had a Liteon CD-RW and later added a Liteon DVD+RW it would work with both, just not at the same time) you dont need a serial number for this type.

All OEM versions (the last time i looked) do not allow the use of the virus scanner, multiple burning, audio track cross fading and probably more.

LAP 21:52 24 Aug 03

I have just loaded a cd copy of Nero 6. I do not know a lot about burnng etc... I did not get on with the freebies that came with Win xp pro.

This is with out doubt much better using CD-R
cd's I found these compatible with the portible radios + car radios etc. Using CD-RW I could not get on with..Lap..

SEASHANTY 11:28 25 Aug 03

The Sack - Thanks once again for the info on Nero v6. I see that at Blankdiscshop click here
the CDROM of NERO Express (OEM) CD/DVD burning software is only £4-99 also My DVD on OEM CDROM at £19-99. Might purchase that then rather than Nero 6.
I have Belarc Advisor installed on this PC and see under Software Licenses it lists "Ahead - Nero Fast CD - Burning plug in" and this is followed by a 24 digit product code separated into groups of four. Now I wonder where that came from? - maybe the upgrade.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…