Gaz 25 18:31 26 Jan 03

I have built a computer succesfully:

AMD Athlon XP 2600+
512Mb DDR 333
Gigabyte GA-7VAXP
80Gb IBM Deskstar 7200rpm ATA HDD
DVD
48x CD-RW

But when I put in the XP disc and then it says bootable disc found and it starts to load windows to install well as it has finished loading files it comes up with starting Windows and then has an error message which says something simalar to:

Windows has been shut down to prevent damage. If this is the first time this message has appered please restart if not check the following:

Check your computer for viruses (well it is new!)
Check your Hard drive is installed correctly and is configured and terminated.
Check your Hard drive is not corrupted by running CHKDISK /F.

( My set-up on IDE channels on my Gigabyte mobo is: HDD - IDE1 / DVD and CD-RW - IDE 2) Is tis set-up correct on this model motherboard?

What do you have to do to resolve the problem?

Thank you,

I'm no expert on building systems from scratch, although your IDE setting look correct. Did your HDD come with a setup disk? More than likely, you need to format the drive or run the setup utilities that came with the drive to install anything to it. I would use the utitlities that came with the drive before attempting chkdisk/f. I think the /f tag will also format your disk, if my memory of basic DOS commands is correct. Try looking around the setup utilities that came with the drive. My guess is that you'll find your answer there. Good luck -- Matt

Gaz 25 18:41 26 Jan 03

I have not got a disk for the HDD and I cannot get into DOS.

How would I get into DOS, and would a format slove the above problem?

Gaz 25 18:44 26 Jan 03

That is what I am trying to do, so how would I get into DOS?

Would it solve the problem I am having?

I remeber as I only got the parts today, it was an OEM drive so there is no Disk that came with it.

Elrond 18:47 26 Jan 03

Installing WinXP shud automatically format the HDD so i don't think this is your problem. Technically your HDD shudn't be the problem either with it being new. I don't know what to suggest you do but if it does turn out that there's a problem with the HDD then send it back

Gaz 25 18:53 26 Jan 03

Its a DOS like screen, it's the part before xp starts loading. It is a basic blue screen with loading.. Whatever file

and then it says starting windows set-up. After that beofre it loads that it dispays that error.

Elrond 18:56 26 Jan 03

Its possible the XP disk may be corrupt. Maybe there's a file it can't access.

Gaz 25 19:05 26 Jan 03

How could I test if the XP disk is corrupt?

Could this cause this problem?

uranus 19:06 26 Jan 03

you will have to run fdisk on your new drive.Then you will have to make a primary partition You can use the full disk capacity for this if you wish. You then have to restart your computer and format the primary partition. You will then be able to load windowsXP.

Gaz 25 19:09 26 Jan 03

How?

Elrond 19:11 26 Jan 03

mAybe you could download one of these, and see if it helps

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…