building a website and hosting

westham24 20:51 13 Sep 04

Hi all, im looking for some info. I want to build a website and get it live on the net, ive been intouch with hosting companys for info but they havent really told me alot. what i want to know is- if i go thriugh a host- do they supply the web space to build a site, do they supply webdesign tools and how do i get the site live on the net??? any info would be much appreciated

westham24

Gaz 25 22:45 13 Sep 04

A host provides webspace only.

Oneandone.co.uk will however offer free webdesign software and tools + a easy site builder.

Nither will build a website for you, unless you pay a webdesign company.

Forum Editor 22:58 13 Sep 04

either by your ISP - in the free webspace that all of them provide - or by a dedicated web-hosting company.

As Gaz 25 says, some web-hosts provide you with software tools with which you can build your site, but usually it's up to you to acquire your own WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) web design program from the many available to you.

Once you have completed the design you can upload the finished site to the server, and then it's available for anyone to view on the Internet. If you decide to use a dedicated wb-host (and if you're serious about your site you will), you'll need to buy a domain name of your own. You'll almost always be able to do this via your web-host.

If you're a complete novice you may find it helpful to ask specific questions along the way, and you can do that by returning to this thread - one of us will try to come uyp with the answers.

dave.engsurv 19:52 16 Sep 04

You could ask your internet service provider if they have website hosting facilities. I have a site hosted by my ISP. However,such hosting may be limited in size but are good for starters.

openlux 21:10 01 Nov 04

My web hosting company, Openlux will be launching in December, and because already quite a few peoplehave asked me about this, I will look into adding a site builder feature into my control panel.

Below are a list of the main features I will offer:
Webspace to upload your site
Domain (like click here)
email addresses
Advanced scripting support.

And one of the best features - the cheapest package is £10.00 per year, and it has everything to create your own website with email support.

Email me if you require anymore information. [email protected].

Chris.

openlux 21:13 01 Nov 04

My web hosting company, Openlux will be launching in December, and because already quite a few people have asked me about this, I will look into adding a site builder feature into the control panel.

Below are a list of the main features I will offer:
Webspace to upload your site
Domain (like click here)
email addresses
Advanced scripting support
Online control panel to control everything.

And one of the best features - the cheapest package is £10.00 per year, and it has everything to create your own website with email support.

Email me if you require anymore information. [email protected].

Chris.

openlux 21:14 01 Nov 04

oops, sorry for the double post...

mbp 22:05 01 Nov 04

Price seems attractive, but what does one get for it?

quack 12:09 02 Nov 04

Whilst I agree with the FE re the use of a dedicated webhosting company. I have two basic sites with a free hosting company who do offer web building facilities. Try click here

sidewinder e3 20:31 02 Nov 04

this company do they are quite cheap too click here

hope it helps

openlux 18:15 19 Nov 04

Ok mbp, the £10.00 package offers basic features:
Free .co.uk domain name
10mb webspace
500mb data transfer per month
2 POP3 email boxes
Easy to use control panel
24/7 FTP access
1 mail auto responder
1 mail forwarder
1 subdomain
Online support area
24 hour free support
No adverts
Domain is in your name
Minimum contract period = 2 years

If you would like scripting support, then the package you will need is the £20.00 one. This includes:
Free Uk domain name
1.5 gb data transfer per month
100 mb of webspace
MS ASP support
PHP support
CGI Support
PERL support
Python support
2 sub domains
2 databases
100 email forwarders
100 POP3 mail boxes
100 auto responders
Online support area
24 hour free support
No adverts
Domain is in your name.

If anybody would like anymore information, please visit click here.

Chris.
p.s. sorry for the late reply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…