building pc woes

jimsuey 18:04 13 Dec 05

celeron d 335 2.8
asrock p4vm800
80gb hard drive
1GB PC 3200 DDR 400 Mhz 184PIN memory
geforcefx 5700LE 256MB

my aim was to build something ok and cheap, turned it on for the first time fans wurr, hd and power lights dont come on. when a monitor is plugged in monitor screen turns purple(using onbard graphics without gcard in) is this a motherboard problem? and is there any way to make sure its the motherboard?

thanks for any help.

LivEviL 18:26 13 Dec 05

do u have all the right links in and do u have the master link on the harddrive (i no there silly questions) do u have any other smaller ram to try in it first? make sure u have the set up correct on the board

Totally-braindead 18:37 13 Dec 05

Disconnect the hard drive cdrom etc and see if you get to the post screen, also make sure your internal speaker is connected as the BIOS will send beeps to this telling you whats wrong. Different beeps codes for different motherboards though look here to see what I mean. click here If its a new motherboard then remove and reseat the graphics card as when the card gets put in the AGP slot for the first time you may think its pushed fully in but it not.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:40 13 Dec 05

fans wurr, hd and power lights dont come on

Sounds like lack of power, check all power connections to motherboard, try with HDD and CD disconnected from PSU.

Remove refit memory and cpu.

Check onboard graphisc enabled in BIOS when can get a POST screen

LivEviL 18:52 13 Dec 05

oh i miss read sorry thort it said hd light and power lights come on!

jimsuey 22:58 13 Dec 05

after hearing about the power i took psu out to check it was the power it was ment to be (350 low but enough i was told), anyway upon taking it out its only a 200w psu. would this cause the pc not to boot up, or lights to come on but for the fans to wurr away?

jimsuey 23:01 13 Dec 05

iam talking without gcard btw as that says it requires a 300pw mimimum on box. thank you

GaT7 23:04 13 Dec 05

Could very well be an underpowered PSU causing the problems. Try a more powerful one if you can. G

jimsuey 23:19 13 Dec 05

do you think 400w would be enough?

Diodorus Siculus 23:24 13 Dec 05

400W is easily enough but don't skimp on it - the really cheap ones are never very reliable.

jimsuey 23:31 13 Dec 05

k, thanks for the info going to have a shop about and see what i can find. thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…