Building PC - SATA Problem

Pikachu 14:38 22 Nov 03

Hi
I am having problems configuring my Maxtor 80Gb SATA drive. Its more or less an issue when setting up the OS. The IDE controllers and SATA Controllers are auto detect in the BIOS and these are viewable on bootup as it states the name of te dirve which is Maxtor and the size of the harddrive partition. The CD-ROM is 1st Boot, Floppy is 2nd and HDD-0 is last.

I boot from CD and when trying to install Windows XP it won't let me it gives me the error cannot find Hardrive although it is recongnised on boot. It loads all the first initial settings of the OS it is when it asks would you like to Intsall XP Press Enter and i do I get a problem. Any ideas? Has anyone else come across this isse?

Thanks

Jean-Luc Picard 14:48 22 Nov 03

Have you loaded the SATA drivers from floppy durin XP set up by pressing F6 etc.

Pikachu 15:03 22 Nov 03

No - although I ran the MaxBlast3 found on the maxtor website click here after the re-boot I thought it should be ok.

Is there separate drivers that I need to install?

Jean-Luc Picard 15:09 22 Nov 03

click here*&p_li=

Pikachu 15:23 22 Nov 03

Thanks Jean-Luc Picard pressed F6 and installed the SATA drivers XP is now installing.

A Cat Called George 15:52 22 Nov 03

I had this problem too and only solved it after installing Windows on my old ide drive left in for back-up. I also had a further problem too. I was trying to install Windows XP Pro on a Western Digital Raptor connected to an Asus A7V600. The Windows installation refused to accept the SATA drivers supplied by Asus as they where no WHQL certified and flatly refused to complete the setting-up hardware stage of the Windows installation. I then found drivers from Via on the Via-arena website and Windows installed painlessly. Other forum members building systems using SATA on Asus m/boards with Via chipsets may like to take note of my experience.

P.S. If you don't need huge storage I can heartily recommend the Western Digital Raptor hard drive. It is expensive for it's size (£104 from Dabs for 36.8GB) but very very fast, much faster than 7200rpm drives.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…