building a pc --- not booting

ttenrab 21:51 24 Apr 03

Im trying to build a pc and have got all the hardware together.
The stage I have got to is entering sttings into BIOS.
At first pc did not boot up.I turned around the power lead marked + and- and it booted up.

I left most settings in bios as default and just entered settings I needed to [I think].

So with a system disc in A drive, I pressed save & exit expecting it to reboot and go to next level but it did not reboot.
Power switch on case will not turn pc off.
Anyone with ideas----- thanks

The PC Doctor 22:29 24 Apr 03

I don't know if this is related to your problem but I have recently found that on some cases the power switch connectors are of the wider 3 pin type and the motherboard only takes the 2 pin (narrower) connected.

If this is the case then all you need to do is to cut the power connector in half (Down the middle) and then use the two halves to connect to the motherboard power connectors.

The reason I am suggesting this is that there should be no difference to which way round the power connectors are fitted + or -. By turning it around you have obviously made a power connection, but it may not be the right one to re-boot.

Beas-Knees 22:43 24 Apr 03

Until you have windows installed you may have to hold in the start button for approx. 4 seconds before the PC will turn off.

Beas-Knees 22:45 24 Apr 03

Which Operating system are you trying to install.

woodchip 23:07 24 Apr 03

Why the floppy it does not save Cmos settings to floppy disc, To turn a new type Motherboard and case of you have to press and old the power button.

You should be able to start computer and boot with the Operating System CD that you want to load. But you need to set the CMOS to boot with the CD as the first boot device that it see's

tell 01:23 25 Apr 03

From your post I gather that the PC refuses to start in even the most basic fashion, if this is the case you should reset the cmos, this is done by removing the cmos jumper, the cmos jumper usually has three pins the jumper being fitted to only two, move the jumper and place it so that it uses the middle pin and the previously free pin,
after a few seconds reset to original position this should clear your cmos and return you to its original setup.
note , some mobo's do not have a cmos jumper, these have to be reset by shorting, you should check your mobo manual for the correct procedure for these mobo's

The PC Doctor 21:52 25 Apr 03

In reply to your E-mail saying thanks....

Sorry can't reply to an AOL Email address due to AOL's E-Mail policy.

Do I take it one of the suggestions in here solved the problem?

If so it would be handy for other users to know which one sorted it - you never know someone may be having the same problem...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…