Building a PC: anti-static mat

bazbazbaz 19:26 29 Aug 03

Read a guide to building a PC and it reccomends using an anti-static mat aswell as a wrist band, I searched for anti-static mats and came up with mats that you stand on and mats that you put your computer on - which did it mean? TIA

The Sack 19:43 29 Aug 03

I build them on the kitchen table and i do not own an anti static wrist band or mat. I touch the radiator briefly before inserting each part.

Djohn 19:44 29 Aug 03

Not sure! but standing on a thin rubber mat will suffice. Stop static from transferring from carpet to shoes, then your body. Main thing is to discharge any static from your body before touching PC components. Do this by leaving PC plugged into wall power socket, [Power turned off], then rub your hands on the PSU unit inside the PC. Try not to wear woollen top clothes or any nylon, [No stockings!!] ;o). This with a anti-static wrist band will do fine. j.

Djohn 19:47 29 Aug 03

Or do as The Sack says, most unlikely to cause a problem, unless you are the type of person that naturally has a lot of static in their body. :o) j.

ton 20:45 29 Aug 03

I do the same as The Sack -- no problems.

Eastender 20:50 29 Aug 03

If you have £25 to spare then click here

oresome 21:00 29 Aug 03

An antistatic mat is a conductive mat that is connected to earth via a limiting resistor. It is placed on the work surface underneath the item being worked on.
To prevent static build up requires an easy discharge path to earth. Standing on a rubber mat makes matters worse unfortunately.
Touching an earthed object prior to carrying out any work is a reasonable precaution, but a static charge can build up again in seconds, so it is no substitute for a wrist band.
Static damage may not manifest itself as a total failure of the component. but may shorten its life, so you are not in a position to know if any damage has occured for some time.

Gedrog 21:08 29 Aug 03

Also worthwhile having the antistatic wrist strap always better safe than sorry. It is not expensive and can save a lot of heartacke. Ask me I know oops what happened to my processor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…