Building a PC

jessej 13:32 24 May 03

Just over two years ago I wouldn't even have considered this but, now hooked, I would like to have a go at building one myself. I've been looking round for books on the subject but so far haven't found a single one. Assumming they must exist, can anybody recommend one to me please, preferably in easy to follow pictures along the lines of the Haynes car books.
On a slightly different tack, though connected, I get around Europe a bit, usually Spain and/or France but sometimes elsewhere. Would the bits and pieces be cheaper over there than in Britain? I ask this if anyone has had experience in doing this, and bearing in mind the name that Britain has got, i.e. Rip Off Britain. Other than the obvious, its a long way to go to take something back if its no good, what, if any, are the problems with buying abroad. And is there anywhere along the same lines as PC World? As always, any and all advice gratefully received.

Gaz 25 13:56 24 May 03

Building PC's is not as difficult as it sounds, but I must say, don't buy parts and import unless you are sure because it could be different connectors, incompatable, wrong voltage, etc...

Also your warranty would be difficult on any componet.

I would suggest taking a look at click here or click here

They both are decent prices, have a look for compatable componets, bundles are sometimes good, and make sure your motherboard has a Building a PC guide, I know for sure the Gigabyte GA-7VAXP one does, this will take you through all the steps.

You will need all the required componets. Processor, motherboard, Drives, modem (or netowrk card for broadband), Graphics and sound (Sometimes on-board). And a screen along with a good old floppy.

Choose your spec carefully! What do you want your PC to do?

A. Internet, Typing, etc

B. DVD, CD-RW, Internet, Photos, Odd game

C. Games, CD-RW, DVD, Photo editing & Video editing.

If you choose mostly:

A. A basic PC with about 1Ghz to 1.8Ghz

B. You need a Fmaily PC with 1.8Ghz to 2.6Ghz

C. You need a power PC with at least 2.6Ghz or more.

Hope this helps, and if you need any more help give click here ago or click the mail button by my name to e-mail me.

Regards,
Gareth

jeez 13:56 24 May 03

I beleive there is a haynes manual : how computers work, but it's about 18 quid. I think the latest issue of computeractive magazine (sorry pca) has a step by step guide to building your own pc (on news stands for £1.30p). Also it's well worth a trip to amd/intel's website, I'm not sure about intel but amd has downloadabe clips showing you how to install your processor correctly (if you don't put the heatsink on a certain way you will crush the cpu's core). Do your research about compatibility issues. If you are building a amd based system then this mobo seems to be the mut's nut's click here
I find ebuyer and dabs are hard to beat for components, but simply are worth a look too. Have fun!

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:18 24 May 03

click here is a good guide.

G

keith-236785 20:45 24 May 03

do plenty of research, decide if you want a Pentium system or an AMD system, this will determine which motherboard you will need. some motherboards have everything you would need built in(sound, Graphics,Modem,Network Card), all new motherboards come with USB ports, if you already have a computer then you can re-use some of the bits, ie Hard Drive, CD Rom, Floppy Drive, Modem(if needed), Sound card, Graphic card.........all these could be used again however if you are going for a high spec system and have a good budget then go for new. alternatively you could sell the old computer to help you pay for building your own,

don't forget you will also need windows, and a monitor if you sell on your old computer. work out what you want then have a look on PCWorlds web site or any other computer suppliers website, click here to get an idea of what is included, PCWorld have a component center where you can buy OEM bits (generally the same as retail boxed bits but without all the extras)have a look and see for yourself, building your own system can be a daunting task but it is worth it for the sense of achievement when you finally press the button and it works (or doesnt as is sometimes the case)

good luck, just dont jump in take your time and get the right bits

Rayuk 20:46 24 May 03

Or for another
click here

jessej 09:30 25 May 03

Very many thanks to you all, you've certainly given me a lot of reading to do. I'll report back at a later (probably much later) date on how I get on or, as is more likely, when I need help. Thanks again.

-pops- 09:47 25 May 03

No need to spend on a guide - the links given by GANDALF <|:-)> and Rayuk will tell you all you need to know and more.

Do have a go at building your own - its one of the most satisfying activities and if, as is quite possible, it doesn't work first time don't despair - come here for the most comprehensive array of experts to help you out.

I've built dozens of machines and there's nothing quie like the "buzz" you get when it's fully operational.

Brian

jospar 10:28 25 May 03

I can also, recommend building your own, in my case it started with a modem! (broken)

If you don't want to buy a book, try your local library.

If you are using the net, for information then print instruction out, also once you decided on the components check the maufacturing websites, check there troubleshooting for the most common problems, print there solutions.

don't forget to note your internet setting for severice provider and back up important documents ect.

Double/triple check that you've got everything before you start, and that components match there manuals, if not get up-date information from there sites,

Good luck, be organised, take it slow and you should be alright.

Jo

jessej 10:41 25 May 03

Many thanks for that pops. I will certainly be having a go just as soon as funds allow. I have always been interested in taking things to bits to find out how/why they work, it's how I learnt about car engines. OK so at first, when they were not working, they still didn't, but, eventually I hit the jackpot and they did, I can't describe the satisfaction I got from it. Well I'm too old now to mess about with engines, but not too old for computers (I hope). Of course, if, or more likely, when I get stuck I'll know where to come for help/advice. Thank you for the encouragement and, as I said before, I'll keep you posted.

-pops- 10:56 25 May 03

I am also too old to mess about with large mechanical and I find that assembling computers gives me the satisfaction of doing something productive and useful. It also keeps my brain active as well as my fingers (wards off the arthritis).

Be warned though, it is very addictive and as soon as you've built one you'll either want to build another or spend loads of time improving the one you have just built.

brian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…