Building a PC

somner90 17:06 25 Jan 14

Hello I am building a PC

My friend has been helping me but has decided he cba to help now. Here are the parts i'm going to order: click here trying to find out if the CPU is compatible with the Motherboard.

My goal is to build a PC for less than £500, i've never built a PC before but I have completed a BTEC National Diploma at level 3 with PPP and I believe i'd be able to do it.

Is there anything else I need to do before ordering the parts other than checking the compatibility of the CPU and the motherboard?

I'm

rdave13 17:41 25 Jan 14

CPU is compatible. " 1.Support for Intel® Core™ i7 processors/Intel® Core™ i5 processors/Intel® Core™ i3 processors/Intel® Pentium® processors/Intel® Celeron® processors in the LGA1150 package" From here.

Your CPU is Socket LGA1150 Processor .

rdave13 17:53 25 Jan 14

Just go through the list making sure everything is compatible (search using google) for ram etc and also use this PSU calculator which will give a rough guide to what Wattage you will need. I always up the calculator by a 100 Watts to be on the safe side. I've not studied the list fully but your mobo is a micro ATX so will fit an ordinary ATX case as well as the smaller size.

somner90 18:44 25 Jan 14

What psu calculator?

Also I had a lot of trouble finding out whether my CPU and mobo were compatible, no doubt i'll struggle checking that the rest is compatible with each other, any tips? i.e. what parts need to be compatible with which?

somner90 19:35 25 Jan 14

Okay I need to check if the Graphics card and Mobo are compatible, then I need to check the cpu fan and cpu will fit together okay.

Mortherboard is compatible with the ram, HD and wireless card CPU Fan and CPU are compatible

To do list: will it all fit in the case? Will the PSU support all the parts? Get a RW CD Drive

rdave13 21:01 25 Jan 14

Midi Case Dimensions : 466.5mm x 185mm x 437mm (D x W x H). Average size ATX case will accommodate your mobo and any GPU card. You should really learn how to use a search engine for you queries. If you keep asking obvious questions that you can't think for yourself for an answer, then you will never build your 'own' PC, regardless of your qualifications. Learn how to use the internet first as all your questions will be answered there with a search engine. Not being facetious just trying to be helpful.

Bris 19:58 28 Jan 14

Go into a number of supplier sites such as Novatech and Dabs, look for a PC that fits your budget and then check the specification, that will tell you what bits will fit together as they have done all the hard work for you. You can then buy the bits and assemble them but dont expect to save money, you wont, but you will gain the experience of building a PC.

Its cheating a bit to get someone else to do the research for you but at least its a first step if you are learning.

Even if you dont go down this route it does no harm to check what bits fit with what and it will increase your knowledge.

Have you considered a barebones system?

Terry Brown 09:58 01 Feb 14

As BRIS says , consider a barebones system (ready built- but no operating system) or a motherboard bundle as a starter rather than buying individual parts.

With a bundle, you will still need to buy a case + PSU + externals

With the barebones, all you need to supply is the externals (mouse, keyboard, monitor etc)

Terry

Terry Brown 10:03 01 Feb 14

I forgot to mention 3 important things.

1-- Remove the battery before fitting the motherboard in the case- to prevent any shorts.

2-- Get an Anti-static wrist strap- (use as advised) before touching any component

3-- When you fit the motherboard onto the supports ensure that the supports only go where the screws fit otherwise you may damage the motherboard.

Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…