building a PC

skaterboy 11:42 05 Aug 13

Hi, im building my fisrt PC and its for college work and light gaming (to replace my ps3)

specs are off the top of my head:

hexicore AMD 6100 CPU 12Gb RAM Evga GT 640 (4GB RAM and 800 or so MHz) 500gb HDD etc TOTAL= £400.50

how is this for spec? my budget is strict 400£ (600$)

from research the CPU is over capable for the GPU and the GPU isnt great but i've seen on youtube its plays games pretty well

Chronos the 2nd 13:32 05 Aug 13

Does you strict 400 quid include monitor,keyboard, mouse and operating system?

You have not posted motherboard or PSU and I am not sure if you want 12GB of RAM, which will be 4GB than you need providing you are installing a 64Bit operating system, or 4GB which you mention later?

skaterboy 13:44 05 Aug 13

hi sorry if i didnt make it clear ( im rather new to the whole hardware side of computing )

my specs are as above plus

MSI 760GM-E51 (FX) Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard TP-Link TL-WN781ND 802.11b/g/n PCI Wi-Fi Adapter windows 7 64-bit Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer CIT case (PSU) click here i have a new keyboard an mouse (bluetooth - how do i get bluetooth :P) and my current wireless set too :) and i have a 22" hd monitor

basically my budget is just the computer + OS

click here hopefully this'll work :)

and

skaterboy 13:45 05 Aug 13

oh and what did you mean about the RAM ? sorry forgot to mention in 1st post and cant seem to edit post :s

Chronos the 2nd 14:30 05 Aug 13

I would never recommend a cheap PSU as in my opinion this is the most important part of your build. That blows and it can take the rest of the PC with it. But your budget really means you do not have much choice in what you buy.

You do not need 12GB of RAM as you will be very unlikely to use more than 8GB so I would drop the RAM to 8GB and put the money towards something else.

You cannot edit posts here, we are not allowed.

skaterboy 14:39 05 Aug 13

Ok thanks :) one othet thing.. how are the CPU & GPU? On yahoo someone said cpu was overpowering for the gpu

Chronos the 2nd 15:39 05 Aug 13

They'll work together without issue mate.

skaterboy 15:58 05 Aug 13

Brilliant cheers :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…