Building A PC

NoBrainz 16:55 03 Dec 07

Hey all, Bit of a stupid question coming.. I'm building my first PC soon, and I'm a little confused about what goes on once you have plugged and wired all the hardware in..

I have been told that I just need to boot the computer, put the OS disc in and make sure it boots from the disc.. then install all my drivers and internet from there.. is that right? It seems a little odd that the PC would recognise all the hardware without any installation to me.. :>

Thanks for any replies, Brainz

skidzy 17:06 03 Dec 07

If building with new hardware your mobo should come with the driver and utilities disc.

Installing windows will use there own generic drivers to start with,then load the mobo drivers and any software that requires drivers for other hardware...such as printers etc.

Totally-braindead 17:07 03 Dec 07

The ways its done is this.

You build the PC and then boot from the windows CD and install windows. Windows installs itself and puts in basic drivers so everything works. You then install the motherboard drivers because although windows installs default drivers to get it going they may not be quite right, once that is done then you can install the graphics card, printers etc etc.

It is important that you install the motherboard drivers after you install windows and before you install any other hardware. Skip doing this and you might find that bits of hardware don't work properly.

All computers will work with windows default drivers but they will work at only a basic level.

Hope that helps.

NoBrainz 17:59 03 Dec 07

Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009