Building a new pc?

Spoony07 19:49 15 Nov 07

Hiya Ladys & Gents,

Building for the first time from scratch..

A little nervous about this, as i don't really want to F' it all up. I Read a guide over on click here which was ok. I'm wondering wether or not there are better guides out there (Magazines, Books & Net links) for people like me building a pc for the first time.

+ Pro's & Con's of me going it alone?

Thankyou for your time.
Spoony

dth 20:21 15 Nov 07

The link looks a good guide.

The main Pros are that you get the p/c that you want and it is very satisfying feeling when you start it up for the first time. There is also usually a small cost saving than buying a p/c from a retailer.

The main Cons are that of course you would not have the shop guarantee (but if you've put the p/c together then I suspect that you would be able to sort out any problems) and it can be frustrating if things go wrong when you are putting it together. But then there are many experts on this forum who are happy to help if you hit a problem.

Good luck.

laurie53 20:22 15 Nov 07

Built my first one earlier this year. Fantastic feeling.

Can't wait for it to go wrong so I can build another one!

If you've done upgrades (hard disc, cards, memory you'll have no problems.

wotbus@ 20:36 15 Nov 07

Just Google "Build your own computer" (without the quotes) and you will find a whole host of links with good information.
This forum is great if things don't go quite as they should ;-)
Big Pro - self satisfaction, learning and achieving.
Big Con - it's a lot cheaper to buy one new than to assemble one yourself with new parts. Not relevant if you are using 2nd hand or your own hand-me-downs for parts
Special tip, do a lot of research on compatibility of components before buying.
Good luck and beware - it's addictive.....

Totally-braindead 21:12 15 Nov 07

As wotbus@ has said for the pros and cons. It is fun though and means when upgrading you don't have the same worries.

umbongo(uk) 01:15 16 Nov 07

pro,s
cheap cheerful not as hard as it looks if you take your time
all parts are warrantied by manufacturer(read the parts description )plus you can take it back to shop if its still warrantied by them first before an rma
as above pick what you want

cons
most new builders fall at the software installation part.. 3 rules
1.operating system
2.motherboard drivers
3.gfx card drivers if add in card is used
run update for windows
start adding other program after youve tested its stable

was going to say hdd drive but that been sorted with sata drives becoming the norm and new builders being able to just plug em in.
(gone are the days of f6 to install raid drivers)
and master slave on ide drives
bios updates when all seems lost again this has been addressed by most manufacturers of motherboards so mobo and cpu chip incompatabillities are low on new builds

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos