Building a new PC

MIKE 21:09 01 Nov 03

Hi Guys,
I don't know if this is the correct approach or area but I would like to build my owm PC. Does any one know the best and cheapest sites to order parts and maybe get help with compatabilty. Again if this is the wrong page or thread to ask queations about sorry
many thanks

Yabadaba 21:21 01 Nov 03

Hi mike,try. click here.

leo49 21:23 01 Nov 03

I've just built my first 2 PC's and found these guides useful:

click here

click here

click here

click here

I sourced my parts from Ebuyer,Eclipse,Overclockers,Scan.

Gongoozler 21:33 01 Nov 03

MIKE, in general I find the cheapest place to buy parts is E-Buyer (click here), with Dabs click here a close second. I find the customer reviews at E-Buyer very useful. Neither is very helpful, though, on general build advice. Probably the best there is to read the information suggested by Yabadaba and leo49. Come up with an initial list of the parts you think you would like to use, and some information about what you want your computer to do, and post your ideas here for comment. What you mustn't expect, though, is to save a lot of money in building your own. Computer manufacturers are working to very tight margins these days, and can buy parts a lot more cheaply than you can.

Legolas 21:48 01 Nov 03

I would recommend building your own system I have built a few and the feeling of satisfaction when you get it up and running is excellent. The links already given are excellent. Remember and post back and let us know how you get on.

MIKE 21:56 01 Nov 03

Many thanks you great bunch. It seems to me there is always help from you folks out there no matter what the problem is. I will let you all know how I get on.

MIKE 17:37 24 Jan 04

To all the folks above who gave me the encouragement to build my own PC many thanks. I have just completed my first build and all went OK. One small problem can't get the sound to work but will work round this problem. You helpful folks may soon get a request for help regarding the sound problem. Again thanks for all the encouragement

martjc 20:00 24 Jan 04

Are there any local computer fairs in your area? The traders are always friendly, give lots of advice - most of it good and generally sell about 15% cheaper than places like DABS. Armed with the info others have given you, try going to a local fair - it's worth it just to look around! This way you can get what you want, cheaply, coupled with advice from traders who know.
I did this for my first build and it was fine.
Good luck

Gongoozler 20:34 24 Jan 04

Hi Mike. Congratulations on getting you pc working. If you motherboard has onboard sound, then make sure you have enabled it in BIOS. If it has onboard sound, but you are using a pci sound card, then make sure you have disabled onboard sound in BIOS.

MIKE 08:23 25 Jan 04

Yes the MOBO does have onboard sound I will look at the BIOS and see what I have set it to. As Arnie said I will be back thanks guys.

Gongoozler 10:32 25 Jan 04

Hi Mike. I have found that sometimes onboard sound just can't be persuaded to work. Recently I built 2 computers with the same motherboards with onboard sound. One worked fine although the driver installation interface was a bit clunky, the other one just couldn't be coaxed into operation, so I got a cheap sound card and installed that with absolutely no problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…