building new pc

brig 22:08 09 Aug 03

old 199? AT form pc past sell by date. Intend building with Asus A7N8X d/l ver2 m/b,512 ram, Amd xp 2500 barton cpu 80 gb sata hdd, coolmaster case, enermax 350 psu, but using, from old pc. Radeon 9000 pro card, Asus cd rom drive and floppy drive. old pc on windows98se, new on windows xp home.Any comments appreciated but main reqest, how do I get all files on old fat 32 hdd onto new, can I fit old hdd as slave in new pc or is there better way?

steve12345 22:23 09 Aug 03

Yes, I think the easiest way is to put the old HDD into the new PC as slave and copy your data over to the new HDD. Then you can either remove the old HDD or keep it in as a backup drive.

brig 22:30 09 Aug 03

can I assume this wont cause problems when transferring between old hdd and new or new hdd and old?

hillybilly 22:37 09 Aug 03

Just install the old HDD as a slave drive. Then you will be able to access them probably as a "D" drive. Of course, you could then copy your data off the drive and then reformat it an use it just for data.

hillybilly 22:41 09 Aug 03

As long as you do not try and run any programs from the old drive, just copy data from it then you will not have a problem! Once you are running XP on your new drive you cannot run anything from the old drive because it will be expecting to run in Win98.

steve12345 22:42 09 Aug 03

Unless you old hdd is starting to fail, there should be no problems. I have copied data from my old HDDs to new ones without any problems.

You could, AFTER you have copied your Data over, reformat the old HDD to the new system. This would probably be better if you intend to keep your old hdd in the new PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…