Building my own PC

Waaaclan 18:12 09 Aug 09

I am a first time builder and am planning to build a PC and I have several problems I need help with.

1. My motherboard is microATX, is there anything wrong with this? Are they worse than normal ATX motherboards?

2. Is there anyway I can see if the parts I am getting are all compatible with each other, or will all hard drives, wireless-G adapters, PSU's, and graphics cards work with virtually any case and motherboard?

3. Will buying the following parts (I know I'm missing a PSU) for a total of 392 british pounds (650 us dollars) be a good deal?

* AMD Phenom X4 9650 2.3GHz Socket AM2+ 2MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor
* Asus M3A76-CM 760G Socket AM2+ onboard VGA DVI 8 channel audio mATX Motherboard
* Antec 300 Three Hundred Black Case - No PSU
* Samsung EcoGreen F2 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 32MB Cache - OEM
* Tenda Wireless-G PCI Adapter
* Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 HyperX Memory CL5 2.2V
* MSI HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 DVI HDMI VGA Out PCI-E Graphics Card

Thank you in advance

GaT7 18:27 09 Aug 09

1. Smaller in size, fewer expansion slots (& not very good for overclocking)

2. Tell us what your looking at (with links) & we'll let you know what's compatible & what's not!

3. That spec looks OK for the money - about par for the course. More importantly, they are all compatible with each other. You missed couple of key components? The PSU & optical drive.

G

GaT7 18:34 09 Aug 09

And, perhaps an OS too?

Official CPU support list click here, mentions that BIOS v0302 or later is needed in order to be compatible with the CPU you've chosen. G

BBW 20:25 09 Aug 09

1st Time builder. Don't consider overclocking. It will cause you problems when you trying to get things up and running. You really should consider an operating system in your costing.

RyanTech 20:33 09 Aug 09

hey mate head over to he [url=click here]NovaTech[/url]fourms great place if your planning on a build (well so is here) plus with novatech you get Great prices and award winning customer service

citadel 22:08 09 Aug 09

I would swop the f2 drive for a f1 as the f2 are low noise and heat and spin at 5400, better for media centres.

Waaaclan 23:27 09 Aug 09

Thank you everyone for your input.
My main question is now is what type of PSU would I need to get to support the components above?
Thanks again
Waaaclan

Waaaclan 23:38 09 Aug 09

I have decided most of the parts except for the graphics card and the PSU. If I was to get a slightly lower end graphics card, which one would you recommend? Is it worth it to get such a high end graphics card, like the 4870?
Thank you once more for answering all my questions

Waaaclan 00:01 10 Aug 09

Is it wise to get a 350w-400w PSU?

I have realized that components in the US are much cheaper than their identical British counterparts. If I get a component in the US, but it turns out to be faulty, will the warranty apply in the UK? If not, are there any components that have little to no chance of failing, so it would be worth the risk to get them in the US anyway?
Thanks

sunnystaines 08:48 10 Aug 09

try and buy most parts from same retailer in case of problems.

GaT7 13:34 10 Aug 09

"My main question is now is what type of PSU would I need to get to support the components above?" - a good quality 500-600W PSU will do. An example would be a CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W click here / click here. This KINGWIN Mach 1 ABT-600MA1S 600W looks excellent for the money ($70) click here. And it's modular to boot! US prices makes me want to cry.

"If I was to get a slightly lower end graphics card, which one would you recommend? Is it worth it to get such a high end graphics card, like the 4870?" - depends what you use the PC for. A 4870 will let you play most games at very good frame rates & settings. If you're only an occasional gamer, a 4670 may suffice. The best part about this card is that you can run it with a reasonably good-quality 350-400W PSU, as it doesn't require any external power. The 4870 requires at least 450W & 2x dedicated 6pin PCI-E connectors.

What monitor are you going to be using, & games played?

"Is it wise to get a 350w-400w PSU?" - see above. No, if you'll be opting for the 4870. My choice of a 400W PSU would be a CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX click here / click here.

"If I get a component in the US, but it turns out to be faulty, will the warranty apply in the UK?" - contact the manufacturers to find out. Each have their own T&C concerning this.

"If not, are there any components that have little to no chance of failing," - I reckon only the CPU (& RAM perhaps) has little chance of failing. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5