Building a MATX PC.

Guns121 23:54 PM 13 Nov 11

I'm building a Micro ATX computer for my mother so i'm not going to waste money on getting high specs for it but what i need help on is what OS i need to use and what power PSU to use. some advise on components to use wouldn't go amiss thanks. this is the bundle i'm thinking of getting http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/amd-cpu-and-microatx-motherboard-bundle-with-1gb-memory-08702298-pdt.html

gengiscant 02:18 AM 14 Nov 11

Would be helpful to have an idea of your overall budget, if you are seeking a m-atx case then buying one with a power supply will solve that problem. I would also suggest an extra GB of RAM and use Windows 7 as your operating system. A wireless keyboard/mouse or controller makes sense with a m- atx which I am assuming you will connect to the TV and use that as your monitor. You would also needs wireless card or Ethernet cable to access the internet.

Please post budget and I will spec up a system for you.

Guns121 08:11 AM 14 Nov 11

about £160 is the budget and your right in assuming that i am using the TV as a monitor. My router is just below my TV so a wireless card isn't needed. My mam mainly just uses the internet websites like Facebook.

gengiscant 08:24 AM 14 Nov 11

Thanks for the info, I'm on the iPad at the moment but will get back to you later with a spec. I had intending knocking up a m-atx rig myself recently so I have a reasonable spec on my PC ,I'll tweak it to suit your budget, but if you are going to be buying Windows 7 that will take a healthy chunk of your budget away. £160 is fine for parts but not with OS.

Guns121 22:05 PM 15 Nov 11

I already have to OS so the budgets is for parts only.

gengiscant 09:36 AM 16 Nov 11

The parts you have linked to will do,not my choice I must admit but I think £160 is just a tad low. But if as you say your mum just needs internet access then fine.You would definitely need to add another 1GB RAM get a case with PSU, something like these M-ATX Case add a hard-drive of your choice an optical drive and you are good to go.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? Windows 10 is now available, so do you have to upgrade? 8 reasons…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

How to run Windows 10 on Mac: How to run Windows 10 using Boot Camp or VirtualBox to install…