Building Computer

new guy 00:13 20 Dec 10

Right i am trying to build a computer and have sourced out a few parts. I just need someone's opinion to see if its all compatible and to see if its a good set up. Here is a list of all the parts:

NZXT Phantom White

Novatech 800W ATX Power Supply

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 Intel P55

Edimax EW-7728In nMax Wireless PCI Card

Corsair XMS3 TwinX 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Dual Channel Kit

Novatech ATI Radeon 6850 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Intel Core i5 760 2.80GHz (Lynnfield)

Arctic Cooling Freezer Xtreme REV.2 CPU Cooler

Arctic Cooling MX-3 Thermal Compound

Samsung Spin Point F3 SATAII 1TB 32MB Cache Hard Drive

LG BH10LS30 10x Blu-Ray Rewriter DVD-/+RW Lightscribe SATA

Novatech Adjustable Anti-Static Wrist Strap

I think thats it, if anyone could help it would be much appreciated.

I am trying to build a mid-high end gaming/entertainment PC

gengiscant 10:22 20 Dec 10

Always helpful if you state a budget. Also useful is a link to the parts you have chosen is good also.
Case fine, (I have just bought the red).
Motherboard fine.

PSU rubbish. This is a very important component and spending £40 on a 800W is not a wise move. you need the power supply to be stable, something the cheaper brands do not do. Also you really do not need to go as high as 800W 550/600W will be plenty.

Ram should be fine.

Graphics card wouldn't be my choice but seems to get good reviews.

CPU fine.

Arctic cooler and paste fine.

Optical drive, I would not bother with light scribe its crap.

I would swap the 1 TB for 2 500 GB's that way you can keep a back up of your main drive. If the 1 TB goes wrong, chances are you will lose everything.

bremner 11:31 20 Dec 10

Assuming you intend to put Windows 7 64 bit on it, Crucial are selling 8GB for only £14 more than 4GB so I would go for more RAM

Unless you're planning to overclock, I would just stick with the fan that comes supplied with the processor (it also has the thermal paste already applied). There is no need to pay for an aftermarket one.

MarvintheAndroid 01:29 25 Dec 10

Nice board, I like that it is crossfire ready. Only thing is those PCI slots are awful close to the lower PCIE graphics slot, you may end up blocking a GPU cooler if you go Crossfire later on.

Agree about PSU, don't skimp on this important component.

I would go for faster memory, at least 1600.

Allow budget for a reasonable sound card, for high end gaming avoid on-board sound. However you could add this later.

Do you need the wireless card, you could plug into a wireless router instead.

The Spinpoint F3 drives are fantastic, I use 2 in RAID0, close to 200 MB/Sec. You might like to do the same.

Agree about allowing for a backup drive.

Don't agree about using the stock cooler, the Arctic Freezer is more capable and near silent. It's a big beast though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…