Building on computer

AlexPB 09:43 15 Feb 08

Hi,

Im looking to build part of my own PC, what im lookinjg to do is either buy a cheap PC base unit with a reasonable motherboard and processor and upgrade all of the components ie; the graphics, multiple hard drives, dvd-rw drives etc or use my existing PC to build onto. Here is the specs of my current PC, please give me ypur opinions on whether you think i shuold build onto this Pc or buy a different one and build onto.

Packard bell I-media center,
Intel Celeron D
CD/DVD-RW
Floppy Drive
Multiple Card Reader
80Gb H.D
1 Gb RAM

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:46 15 Feb 08

1. Packard bells don't tend to be very upgradable.

2. "im lookinjg to do is either buy a cheap PC base unit with a reasonable motherboard and processor and upgrade all of the components ie; the graphics, multiple hard drives, dvd-rw drives"

Doesn't make sense you are basically building a new machine from scratch.

3. Unless you are very specific about what you need then it is much cheper nowadys to buy a unit then actualy build your own plus you get a guarentee and software with a new unit.

Totally-braindead 11:52 15 Feb 08

To be honest you might have more luck selling the old PC on and putting the money toward a new PC and just buying a complete new PC.

Adding onto it is in my opinion a waste of time and using the bits off it also is a bit of waste as all you could really use on a new PC would probably be the hard drive, maybe the CD ROM and the floppy drive if you still want to use one. Considering you can get new parts for the 3 items for maybe £70 it would be more economical to sell the base unit as you could maybe get more than £70 for it.

Demora 13:22 15 Feb 08

I agree with both Totally Braindead and Fruit Bat on most of what they say..... BUT theres not much fun to be had in a total new system take look here click here at there barebones kits and I'm sure you can have a really good system in the end.

D

Totally-braindead 13:37 15 Feb 08

Demora is right and has a point. Building your own is very rewarding and the big advantage is that after building your own you no longer have a worry about doing a bit of upgrading.

It is more expensive to build your own but if you buy either a barebones or a motherboard bundle then a lot of the differculty it taken away from you as one of the problems many people do have is selecting computer memory to go with the processor and motherboard.

If you did go this way then do bear in mind that if you buy a Novatech barebones they do only come with a 400 watt power supply so you have to watch what graphics card you put in and you have to add £60 for a copy of OEM windows either Vista or XP.

Or if thats not your thing buy a complete system theres loads to choose from.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5