BUILDING A COMPUTER 2

mneopaws1947 09:47 15 Jun 04

HI again,
Thanks for all the help you all gave me and all the great sites.
I have, finally, decided to build my own. As my "old" comp is only 2 yrs old I presume i can use the sound card, ramchip etc in my new one.
So what I want, to start is a good motherboard, apparently the one in at mom is a nasty cheapie.
After looking at all the sites selling them iI am now totally confused.
My son recommends the INFINITY 865PE - any comments on that please ?
What I really want is a good, middle of the range, motherboard that I can put all my "bits" in from this comp. Any help would be great.
Thanks
Sue

byfordr 09:51 15 Jun 04

What are your current pc specs?

Also how much do you want to spend, and what do you want to do with?

R

Right, what mobo you use will come down to several factors, are you running an Intel or AMD chip, and which spec chip?

Do you have a graphics card you wish to retain or do you want onboard graphics on your new card, same for sound etc.

Run something like sandra Sisoft, list all your components and people may be able to reccomend something suitable.

byfordr 10:38 15 Jun 04
  david.h 17:03 16 Jun 04

the AOpen mobo has advantages with BIOS software included to make uprading the BIOS easy without the hit or miss risks of a normal BIOS flash this extra puts it in front of other boards its performance similar to the other mainstream boards

another point is to look for a quiet case with good cooling options, there are a lot of bad cases out there.

david.h 17:03 16 Jun 04

the AOpen mobo has advantages with BIOS software included to make uprading the BIOS easy without the hit or miss risks of a normal BIOS flash this extra puts it in front of other boards its performance similar to the other mainstream boards

another point is to look for a quiet case with good cooling options, there are a lot of bad cases out there.

Totally-braindead 17:08 16 Jun 04

You can use the soundcard, graphics card, cdrom etc in the new computer but the memory may not be useable, it depends on the specification of the motherboard and processor you're going to use.

Jakey boy 17:14 16 Jun 04

Mainly AMD, but a very good company, and saves a lot of decision-making click here

Totally-braindead 17:32 16 Jun 04

I've just had a look at a review of this board and it looks good in the review but its also designed to be easy to overclock. I definately wouldn't recommend overclocking but is this one of the main reasons your son has suggested this motherboard? Some members of this forum do overclock but I'm "chicken" when it comes to this as my computer runs everything I throw at it so I have no reason even to try it. Regarding the soundcard you won't need it as it has onboard sound though you could disable it and use your soundcard if its a good one. I've never built a computer using one of these makes of board so don't know how good it is. I've built PCs using Gigabyte, Asrock, Asus and some others but not this particular make so know nothing about them.

Dorsai 18:00 16 Jun 04

As with building anything you should start by deciding what whay you are going to use it for.

Then decide how much dosh to spend.

Once you know these you can then look at which components are good at doing what you are going to do.

A system that was used as a word processor and nothing else could be picked up at a boot sale for £50. Try to play the latest 3d games on the internet with it though....

You can pick stuff up on e-bay and at computer fares and save money.

But i have also noticed that some of the stuff in either case sells at a higher price than it can be bought for new, fully guaranteed, from reputible internet companies. if you go this route check the price for a new 'bit' before you buy (obvios, i know, but if we all did it, people would not be buying it from e-bay/faires for more than dabs sell it for new.

BEst of luck, i have just bought a whole pile of parts and will this weekend try and turn the collection of boxes into a working pc.

goonerbill 18:41 16 Jun 04

it dont matter if you wish to go down the pentium or AMD road, gigabyte are the motherboards i would recommend for those who are not into overclocking ( but are able to ) and like everything upto date, as they have dual bios, so you can update the bios and if anything goes wrong can update bios from the backup so you are not left with a dud motherboard.

my personnal recommendation on motherboards would be ASUS A7N8X - E DELUXE. have upgraded my mobo to this from gigabyte mobo. it can take all AMD athlons xp CPU's ( not the new athlon 64's ) and athlons are about 25/30% cheaper than pentiums but perform just as good ( others may disagree ). it also has nforce2 chipset which is better than any other chipset ( yes people will disagree with me on this as well but have built many pc's and found nforce2 better ).

all your other parts from you old pc can go into your new one but the memory will need to be upgraded as more than likely its not DDR RAM.

heres link to site to get the latest prices on anything you wish to get for your new pc

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced