Build your own PC - duff instructions

minicarr 11:24 10 May 03

I followed this series to build my own PC on the ASUS P4T533/R and the recommended heatsink cannot be fitted - a cradle on the mb prevents the fitting and I can't figure out how to remove it...

AND - I can't get the Win XP Pro to install to the RAID array. I have finally found out how to set up the array (not clearly covered in the magazine instructions), I have copied the Promise files to a floppy and it still won't work! Any ideas?

cdb 21:15 10 May 03

^bump^

hugh-265156 00:28 11 May 03

are you wanting to remove the heatsink stand to fit another heatsink? if so using(very carefully) a small pair of pliers gently squeese the pins at the rear of stand on the motherboard and push outward.

hugh-265156 00:30 11 May 03

only going by this pic though click here should be able to remove easy enough.

billyliv 08:28 11 May 03

Hi, All P4 CPUs have the cradle fitted onto motherboards (Or you fit it yourself) This is what the heatsink clips onto. It always pays to buy your CPU and heatsink in the one package. cheers, Bill

Rayuk 11:51 11 May 03

When XP instal begins it should prompt you to press F? [think its 6]if you need to load raid driver.It will then ask you to put in floppy with driver on.

Rayuk 19:38 11 May 03

Download the top file for Raid Controller
When you have downloaded it unzip it then copy to your floppy and try again. click here

DieSse 19:47 11 May 03

I've never seen a P4 heatsink/fan that wasn't designed to fit the standard mounting cradle on a P4 board. Are you sure you've got the correct thing?

I strongly urge against removing the cooler mounting cradle from the board, unless you want to invalidate your warranty. Try instead to get the correct type for the board.

Can I look at these instructions on-line - if so where please.

minicarr 20:29 01 Jun 03

Well, despite PC Advisor I have now completed my build. The Promise files, copied to a floppy did finally work but only after I used an aged FDD in place of my new one...don't know why 'cos the new one does work. Still point arguing on that. The main problem is that PC Advisor recommended a bunch of components and then did not complete the instructions - why - because the Promise drives are not Win XP signed. You get a critical warning when installing anything from the ASUS CD that continuing may destabalise your system. I touched wood and continued with the install - seems OK and I am hoping to find a signed driver from ASUS ere long. Good luck to all others trying to follow the PCA build instructions!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced