To build or not to build

Legolas 23:41 10 Mar 06

I have been building comuter systems for a few years and really enjoy doing it.

I still get great satisfaction from seeing the system up and running especially when I have had problems with the build and overcame them (usually with the help of this forum).

If a friend or member of my family mention getting a new computer I normally jump in and volunteer to build one for them.

I do it because I enjoy it and I dont take any payment. Recently I have began to realise that I can buy a comparable ready built system as cheap if not cheaper than I can build one so although I still want to build for people I feel guilty in doing so as they can probable get a professional build for the same money.

What do others think to build or not to build?

Stuartli 23:50 10 Mar 06

As you have obviously built up experience in building systems, why should your systems prove any less professional quality wise than from elsewhere?

The only snag, as far as I can see, is that if anything goes wrong (and for whatever reason) your telephone will start to ring....:-)

Legolas 23:58 10 Mar 06

it does I can assure you.

When you build someone a system they seem to think they also get a lifetime support. lol

gudgulf 00:06 11 Mar 06

Look closely at what's on offer from the major companies......you can't compete on cost alone.

But you can build to exactly the specification the "customer" wants......furthermore you will be providing all the software complete.No hidden partitions or backup discs.There are plenty of threads on here that would be easily resolved if the poster had all the relevant software to hand.

I do the same thing for friends and neighbours.....usually upgrading,but building too.

Do it for your own interest and fun......including sorting the problems....but do it anyway.If they would rather buy a big companies products then that is entirely their choice.

As far as I am concerned I can build to at least as good a standard as the majors and I can better spec a system according to individual needs......and I look after my "babies".But like you I don't do it for profit or reward..

Keep up the good work and don't feel guilty about giving people a choice.

007al 00:31 11 Mar 06

Dont feel guilty.I can build an Athlon64 socket 754,for the same as a shop built Sempron,so its not that bad.Plus most of the software bundled with a pc can be downloaded to a self build at no cost.
I sympathise with you on the lifetime support.
I have quite a few people who say "my pc has slowed up,i`ll have to get you round to sort it".
For some unknown reason,they seem to think i want to...although i do!
Its as though they think `you built it,you fix it`
Keep going with it.I actually enjoy trying to build a pc on the tightest budget,rather than one with say £1000.I managed to build someone an Athlon64 with onboard graphics,512MB RAM,DVD RW,80GB HD and 17" tft monitor for £300.I did use a case i already had though

DieSse 00:43 11 Mar 06

If you build youself, you get to choose

Good quality brands.

Low noise components - PSUs and fans.

Better degree of upgradability (bigger PSU for instance).

A complete, well set up software environment, without extra rubbish or vital utilities missing.

That's the way to compete - quality, not price. I venture to suggest that no commercial supplier will compete on the above basis - if they can, it'll be small enthusiast businesses.

"There isn't a single thing in this world that someone can't make a little cheaper and a little worse"

gudgulf 00:46 11 Mar 06

"There isn't a single thing in this world that someone can't make a little cheaper and a little worse"

I couldn't agree more.

Legolas 06:01 11 Mar 06

Thanks all I think I will keep on building

ulrich 08:23 11 Mar 06

I have just built my first PC, and I would do another one tomorrow, great satisfaction when everything worked, especially when it didn't work first time as I hadn't plugged it in.

keith-236785 08:38 11 Mar 06

i too am just like legolas, i used to build pc's for friends/family etc. recently i gave up as i could not compete with the main suppliers (it was the included windowsXP that killed it for me) i could build as cheap but how they include windows at them sort of prices puts me out of the picture. as already said, people ring up with the "i cant get my computer to work" sort of thing and i have to go out at my expense to sort it out.

last system i built i put a 12 month warranty on it, i made £35 for building it. 3 months after the build i had to replace the cdrw, cost me £30 fo a new one. outcome was i made £5 and had to go to the clients house twice at my own cost, spent 1½ hours sorting it, means i was working for about 30p per hour total (including the initial build) and once upon a time i was going to do it as a profession Lol.

i stil upgrade my own system and i will help people but no more building pc's much to my wifes delight.

DieSse 10:21 11 Mar 06

*i had to replace the cdrw, cost me £30 fo a new one*

but surely your supplier gives you a warranty?

As I suggested - you can only compete on quality - not on price. Make a *silent* PC for instance, you can do this if you pick the components carefully.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant