Build me a specia PC on here...............please.

5ean 17:40 23 Sep 05

Ok a bit of fun but it will help me.

I need to put together a system for a small office.

The PC needs to run SAGE or similar accounting programs and print documents. No games or films etc. Basic sounds. What it does need is top reliabilty and backup storage potential (2 hard drives?). I would like to be able to link the other PC in the office to it for full access for 2 users. Prefer hardwired to wireless possibly.

So please any reccomendations on specs and software for the job.

Keep in mind the other PC runs Win98 SE and is maybe too old for XP. can't afford 2 new pc's any other options for 2 users?

The office runs a small charity so you are helping, thank you.

jack 19:28 23 Sep 05

Charity so keep costs down.
Micro Mart - a weekly publication something like the the computerists exchamge and mart advertises noew kit and [this is for you] recovered /second user/refurbished kit.
or you could build new in a variety of ways from the likes of click here who offer basic boxes, mobo-cpu bundles, and so on.

If the other machines is 98 why not stick with in with the new machine- then networking would be no hassle.

PC Bilbo 22:42 23 Sep 05

Do you have a budget in mind?

For system fault tolerance, 2 hard drives configured in RAID mirror (you don't need SATA drives necessarily )As data is important,best to start with new drives say 2 x 80GB 7200rpm 2MB Cache would cost around £35 each.If you don't have a mobo , Socket A's are coming to an end so you can pick up a new skt A mobo with an embedded raid controller chip for a little over £30.

As you will not be gaming a Sempron mid range processor say 2600+ £40 ish and DDR3200 RAM . You can still buy Win 98 for around £45 and hardwire your network will be cheapest and most reliable. If your old existing PC's need LAN added, PCI add in cards are around £10-£12.

Trust this gives some useful input.

5ean 11:26 25 Sep 05

Thanks very much, that gives me quite a bit to go on.

DieSse 14:21 25 Sep 05

Far better for backup is a seperate, removeable drive. In an external box (with a USB2 connection, for speed) - or in an internal removeable caddy.

The reason that removeable drives are better for backup is that you can keep them unattached, so:-

If the whole system *bursts into flames* or *gets stolen* or is *mis-operated*, or simply goes *very badly wrong*. Then your backup can be *out of harms way* - maybe not even left on the premises. Any half-sensible commercial concern has backups like this - so that even if a pretty severe disaster occurs their data is safe somewhere else.

Remember a backup is only good up to the last time you did it - so do them frequently.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…