Bug and Fault Finding.

spuds 11:30 24 May 05

Last week I was trawling the net for insurance quotes,and I made connections to many company websites, which all seemed very legit and reliable. Since then, I have had some strange events with my computer, like system crashes, slowness, difficulty in start-up.

I have installed all of the relevant safeguards and protection devices like AVG,ZoneAlarm,a2,Micro Anti-spy,AdAware,Spybot, Spyware Blaster. All these devices have been installed for ages, and all have given superb results. But they do seem to be picking up more unwanted items, that are being downloaded into my computer over this past week.The 'offensive' spam rate also seems to have increased considerably since last week.

Is there anything that anyone could suggest, as I still have this slightly paranoid feeling that there is something lurking in my computer that should not be there.Many thanks for any advice.

On B/B with XP Home.

mbp 12:06 24 May 05

Have you updated all your programs? It sounds like you have pick up something. There is a lot of very clever spam about and some spyware. Run MS Antispyware, its a good program. But I still found items in Spybot, not picked up my MSAS, although not fatal items.Make sure you assess each item for deletion carefully, you could be deleting something that you computer needs to function. I know it is a pain, but that is the price for having a computer.

spuds 23:04 24 May 05

mbp- Thanks for the response.All my devices are upto date, and like you, I find that what one programme misses another may pick up a 'missing' rogue.

I'll leave this unticked for a short while.

spuds 18:17 25 May 05

I'll mark this as resolved, due to the great response!.

ashdav 19:50 25 May 05

try running Ccleaner click here You probably need to clean out your history and temp files. Then do a defrag.

spuds 22:30 25 May 05

ashdav-Thanks for response. Have run CC and WinCleaner plus defrag,and about everything else that I could think, and which may have solved the problem. Computer seems to be running a little faster today. I think that I will leave it for now, getting rather fed-up with the situation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…